Butter Cream Icing Supreme - Super Buttery Taste!

Baking By cakesdivine Updated 6 Dec 2008 , 10:59am by JanH

cakesdivine Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 19

**NOTE** This icing does not crust EVER!

Ingredients: 1 Egg white, 1 pound of salted butter softened to room temp - yes I said SALTED icon_wink.gif, 2 sticks of Crisco Shortening-white (try to find the the ones that aren't transfat free, they work better, do not use the butter flavor sticks!), 1/2 cup to a cup of cornstarch, 1 1/2 pounds of confectioners sugar (get the kind in a plastic bag, do not use boxed confectioners sugar), 1/4 tsp cream of tartar, tsp. vanilla extract, 1 to 2 oz. of softened cream cheese, or 1 to 2 table spoons super cold sour cream.

A tip on the butter: The all time best butter to use is the Great Value brand from Wal Mart. It has the perfect moisture balance necessary. The only other butter that comes close to this is Land O Lakes butter. I have tried every butter brand on the market and all others have too high of a water/moisture content, and you end up with frosting soup.

Crack the egg and use an egg separator to separate the white, do not use the shell as it is the shell that carries the salmonilla bacteria, and don't wash the eggs prior to use either, they are pourous and the bacteria will wash through the shell if you run water over them. Let the egg sit to room temp. Add cream of tartar and beat on high until you get a stiff meringue. Then scoop out 2/3rds of the volume and discard, sorry but this is the only way to get that correct amount of meringue. Add the butter, shortening, and vanilla. Mix base on high just until smooth, do not allow to over beat as the paddle on your mixer will become hot and effect the icing. Then add the cornstarch, if the day is humid or you are in a humid area add the full cup, if you are in a cold or dry area use the 1/2 cup. You may need to add more later to get to the right consistancy. Then add the entire amount of confectioners sugar, mix on low until just combined, then turn mixer on high to get a fluffy consistancy, again do not mix for too long as paddle will get hot and melt your icing. Now that you have a good consistancy, taste the icing. It should have a soft whipped cream like texture and a sweet, but not super sugary taste. If too soft add a little more cornstarch DO NOT ADD MORE SUGAR! Once the right consistancy add the softened creamcheese and beat on high until fully incorporated, again start with 1 oz, if the butter flavor in the icing pops out at you then your good, if you still don't quite taste that butter add another 1/2 oz at a time but no more than 2 oz. It will now have a very buttery sweet taste. Sour cream can be used as sometimes the cream cheese will have small lumps that just never will incorporate (especially in cold climates or cold days) But you get better flavor results with the creamcheese.

It takes awhile to get use to decorating with this icing, it is soft, but it will work beautifully. Does not hold up well to heat at all. You can dust iced cake with a thin layer of cornstarch and smooth using the Viva method, but it is very time consuming to do so. This icing works beautifully with fondant.

18 replies
Amy729 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:32am
post #2 of 19

Have you ever used pasturized egg whites for this recipe?

Thanks for posting!

cakesdivine Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 4:36am
post #3 of 19

Yes you can use pasturized egg whites, just don't use meringue powder, it deflates too easily.

Amy729 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 4:47am
post #4 of 19

Great! I look forward to trying your recipe.

Thanks for sharing. I am always looking for a less sweet icing.

Jopalis Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 8:23am
post #5 of 19

Would that be powdered pasteurized egg whites or the kind in grocery in container...all whites. I have trouble getting the latter to whip up... Thanks.

cakesdivine Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:31pm
post #6 of 19

The kind in a grocery container...meringue powder (ie: dried egg whites) will deflate easier. Bring the cartoned egg whites to room temp before trying to whip, and make sure your bowl and paddle are completely water and grease free!

mcdonald Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 7:10pm
post #7 of 19

thanks for sharing your recipe!! Sounds yummy!!! I have a hard time adjusting to a "non crusting" buttercream though. I am always afraid the icing is not set and will fall off the cake!! It's just me..... but I think I will give yours a try to see. always good to have 2 good buttercreams in your arsonal!!!

also saw your tip about wrapping the cake and freezing. I do this all the time (but not with the glad wrap.... going to get that) and it is a must. I actually panic now if I get a last minute cake order and can't freeze my cake!!!

Thank you again...and welcome to CC !!!

krazigirl79 Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 4:38am
post #8 of 19

Approximately how much cake does this recipe cover?

Also- I am making my first fondant cake, and I was wondering if you think I should try something different as a starter icing since this is my first real cake I've ever made! icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 4:48am
post #9 of 19

This recipe will ice and decorate a 1/4 sheet cake or an 8" 2 layer round filled, iced & decorated. You probably will have a little more left over. Just refrigerate to save.

krazigirl79 Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 4:53am
post #10 of 19

Ok- thanks... my brain is working on multiplying, lol!

My plan is to have:
6", 8", 10", 14" - 2 layer rounds. So far I have made the 2x6, 2x8 and 1x10 layers and have to make one more 10" and 2x14".

This is my very first cake, so I'm pretty paranoid, lol! I am making it for my parents' 30th anniversary next week.

Do you think I would have a good shot at making your recipe work first-time out, or is there a more basic/simple buttercream recipe that is a better idea for beginners (in your opinion).

cakesdivine Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 12:37am
post #11 of 19

Wow, taking on such an endeavor for your first cake...brave woman...good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

It depends on the climate your are in. If you are in a cool area then go for it. Just remember you have to smooth this using your spatula or dough scraper, it will not crust. The heat from your hand will soften the icing further so work quickly or rotate bags to keep icing from becoming too soft. If you are making buttercream roses I suggest since this is your first one...in a separate bowl stiffen about a bag full of icing with more cornstarch and a little more sugar, this will help you with your roses. Once you get use to the icing & faster at making roses/flowers you won't have to add the cornstarch & additional sugar.

The 14 inch will take one whole recipe to ice & fill, the 10" A little less, So you are going to need 5 batches of icing to do this cake. It works better if you do one batch at a time unless you have a very large industrial mixer. But with a kitchen Aid...use the recipe listed and do one batch at a time. If you only have one mixer, make sure you clean out the bowl thoroughly and dry completely before beginning the next one.

leah_s Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 12:59am
post #12 of 19

It's fairly similar to the whipped cream buttercream recipe here n CC. That doesn't crust either and is much easier, and as a bonus is completely heat and humidity stable.

tiggy2 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 1:52am
post #13 of 19

If you want an easy, foolproof buttercream use indydebi's recipe on this site. It will crust and is easy to smooth.

leah_s Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 1:22pm
post #14 of 19

Also, any recipe that includes raw egg can not be served to persons under 5, over 60, pregnant, with compromised immune systems or chronic diseases. IOW, if you make an icing with raw egg you must know your consumers (your own family) very well.

Just another reason to use meringue powder.

Amy729 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 2:18pm
post #15 of 19

what about pasturized egg whites? I always use a butter/shortening recipe so I don't know much about the recipe's with egg whites.

cakesdivine Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 12:09am
post #16 of 19

Whipped cream does not give the same flavor or texture. Use pasturized egg whites if serving public.

cakesdivine Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:24am
post #17 of 19

Bumped for someone who requested. icon_smile.gif

cakedivamommy Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:55am
post #18 of 19

I am assuming that this recipe needs to be refrigerated due to the eggs? Thank you Angela!

JanH Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 10:59am
post #19 of 19
Originally Posted by leahs

It's fairly similar to the whipped cream buttercream recipe here n CC. That doesn't crust either and is much easier, and as a bonus is completely heat and humidity stable.

Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Whipped cream does not give the same flavor or texture. Use pasturized egg whites if serving public.

The whipped cream b/c recipe Leahs is referencing doesn't contain whipping cream. However, it does use meringue powder. icon_smile.gif

Here's a link to that recipe:

Quote by @%username% on %date%