Cranberries With Sulfer?

Decorating By Jules14 Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 12:00am by Jules14

Jules14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jules14 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 5

At the market today I picked up a bag of what I thought were regular dried cranberries but upon further inspection I am not sure.

Since it's a tiny market things are locally produced and they are packaged in generic plastic bag with basic white stickers, no name brand. It looks like a bag you would would pick up at a bulk store.

The cranberries are not crunchy like Craisins, they are more the texture of raisins and the label reads "with sulfer" I can't imagine it's a typo of sulphur, because why on earth would you combine the two, but maybe it is? Does anyone have any ideas what this means? I just found a recipe for homemade granola bars and wanted to toss some cranberries into the mix.

4 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 5

I've never seen it spelled sulfer, but sulfur is an accepted spelling, and if they come from an organic farm, sulfur is used as an organic insecticide, so that could be the case... I'm just making a guess here though.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 5

Sulphur (sulfur) dioxide is used when making dried fruit--it helps keep the fruit from turning an ugly brown color and also helps to make the fruit last longer. Drying prolongs the life of the fruit, but unless it is leathery-dry, there is enough moisture for mold to grow.

They have to list that the product contains sulfur because it can trigger allergic/asthmatic reactions in those who are sensitive to it.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 5

Most dried fruits have a sulphid in it. Sulpher, and organic don't go together. At least at Whole Foods they don't.

Mike

Jules14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jules14 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 12:00am
post #5 of 5

Thanks guys. I knew I came to the right place for answers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%