Buying Supplies In Bulk?

Decorating By Kate714 Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 8:54pm by Melvira

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all,

I have applied to a nearby town's parks and rec/continuing education department to teach a class on cake decorating. I have submitted a proposal with some of my class ideas, but I figure they will want to know how much it's going to cost each student for supplies. Does anyone know of a place where I can buy bags, tips, etc...for cheap, maybe if you buy in bulk??

thanks!

6 replies
Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 7

Hey Kate! It totally depends on what/how much you are looking for. If you are talking about perhaps you buying a bunch of bulk stuff, then selling it to the students in kits sort of, that might be a cool idea. Anyway, for cake boards and boxes, I like www.brpboxshop.com they rule! The prices are great and shipping is FREE!! For disposable bags, I like to get the rolls of 100 at Hobby Lobby or Michael's when I have a 40% off coupon, or on the occasions that Hobby Lobby puts their entire Wilton line on sale for 50% I will buy a couple boxes. Are there any other items specifically you want to know about? If so, I could try and tell you where I get them!

Kate714 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 7

Hi Melvira! I was thinking mainly tips and bags as a requirement...spatulas too? I guess if I can't find stuff cheap and then have the students buy it from me/parks and rec, I could always put together a shopping list for each student and give it to them before the class begins? what do you think would be easier?

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 7

What about having the students purchase the Wilton kits?

Melvira Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 7

I think it might be easier to have them get a list of needed supplies when they sign up for the class. The reason I say this is simply because some people will already have some stuff, perhaps they have dabbled a little on their own, so they bought some stuff, now they want some guidance, etc. I know I always hate buying a kit of something when I already own more than half of it!! But you could also include (on the sheet of supplies) some info on the best places to get these things, as well as internet links for additional supplies they may be interested in, as well as your contact info to answer any questions that come up while they are trying to get their stuff. The kit idea would be great for people who are walking in with absolutely nothing in their hands, but you probably won't get too many of those.

Kate714 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 7

thanks, guys! I told the parks and rec guy I think this could be like a 5 week class...I have some ideas but need to figure out a detailed plan of what I would do each week...I guess then I could figure out what to tell them to buy icon_rolleyes.gif

Melvira Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 7

Yah, I suppose that would be a good place to start!! hahaha!! Good luck, and let me know if you need any other supply links.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%