Use For Egg Yolks??

Baking By pbeckwith Updated 20 Nov 2008 , 10:27am by auzzi

pbeckwith Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 10

Does anyone have a recipe for French buttercream that uses up all those egg yolks? Or any suggestions for what to do with them. I hate to throw them out.

9 replies
antonia74 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 10

Make a big batch of lemon curd or chocolate mousse...yumm!! Those usually ask for yolks in the recipes.

icon_smile.gif These recipes are from Martha Stewart, but you can triple them for a large gathering.

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/marthas-perfect-lemon-curd?autonomy_kw=curd&rsc=rf_result7

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/bittersweet-chocolate-mousse?autonomy_kw=mousse&rsc=header_1

indydebi Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 12:41am
post #3 of 10

make a big batch of egg noodles and put them in your freezer.

JanH Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 4:03am
post #4 of 10

Here's a pretty extensive thread on "How to Use Up Egg Yolks":

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-322663-.html

HTH

pbeckwith Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you, thank you. I hate to throw them out and I knew there would be a use.
There was a post previously about "French Buttercream" using up all those egg yolks, do you know what that would be? Is it really a buttercream or is it a custard?
Personally, I love the custard type fillings.

chutzpah Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 6:18am
post #6 of 10

custard, challah, biscotti...

antonia74 Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 3:21am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbeckwith

There was a post previously about "French Buttercream" using up all those egg yolks, do you know what that would be? Is it really a buttercream or is it a custard?
Personally, I love the custard type fillings.

French Buttercream is a lot like IMBC, but richer! icon_smile.gif It's gorgeous, but not like a custard.

If a custard is what you're going for, why not make pastry cream then?

adonisthegreek1 Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 3:39am
post #8 of 10

2 cups butter, softened
6 egg yolks
5 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/3 cups conf. sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract

Mix the butter, sugar, egg yolks and vanilla. Add the flour and mix by hand.

I make all sorts of variations to this recipe, like a pink food coloring and strawberry flavoring, add chocolate shreds, add heath, add pecans, add almond flavoring and almonds.

These cookies hold their shape. They are great for cut-outs or scooping with a small ice cream scoop and making ice cream scoop cookies.

Bake in preheated 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) oven for 7-9 minutes. Vary temp and time depending on the size of the cookie.

Sweetcakes23 Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 4:22am
post #9 of 10

Ymmmm....Creme Brulee!!!

auzzi Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 10:27am
post #10 of 10

Either

FRENCH BUTTERCREAM [Italian method]
¨þ c sugar in ¨÷ c water
2 egg yolks
¨û c sugar
1 c butter, cubed
2 ts vanilla
Beat egg yolks and sugar until pale yellow.
Make a simple syrup boiling to 238-242¡ÆF.
Remove and slowly pour into yolk mix while beating.
When it reaches the ribbon stage, at medium speed , add butter cubes, beating 15 minutes -- it will appear curdled but keep beating as it comes together. Add vanilla and beat 1 minute. Stores 2 weeks. Freezes 1 month.

or

FRENCH BUTTERCREAM [Swiss method]
4 egg yolks
¨÷ c sugar
2 ts flavouring
Dash of salt
¨ú c butter
¨ö ts vanilla
Over simmering water, whisk the yolks, sugar, flavouring and salt. Whisk about 4 minutes. Remove and cool.
Cream butter and vanilla for 5 minutes. Beat in the cooled egg yolk mixture. Stand, stirring occasionally, until spreadable, 20 minutes. Use immediately, or cover and refrigerate overnight or freeze for up to 1 month. Before using, let stand at room temperature until softened, then beat with an electric mixer set on high speed until smooth and fluffy. Makes about 1 ¨ö cup

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%