Licensing Your Home Bakery In Iowa

Business By tiffani_1 Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 7:51pm by koppeskreations

tiffani_1 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 5

I just got an email back from the health dept lady - she said that if you are just baking cakes out of you home and selling them directly to the consumer - then you dont have to license your kitchen. If you are making things like cheesecakes, then you do.

I wonder if it has something to do with cheesecakes maybe being more perishable?? Hmm....

4 replies
kakedecorator Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 5

This is interesting, what state are you in that that said this?

tiffani_1 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 5

Iowa. She also said that if you are selling cakes to a store - then you have to be licensed.

QueenOfSweets Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 5

Hi, tiffani. I'm in Iowa too and have done quite a bit of research on CC about Iowa requirements. If your cakes aren't perishable and don't have to be refrigerated, then you don't have to be licensed. If you're making items that need to be refrigerated, then you have to have your home bakery licensed. There's a great document of all the requirements in a post at the top of this forum regarding states' requirements. Where are you located in Iowa? I'm looking to get started in the Des Moines area.

koppeskreations Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 5

I too am from Iowa, and as long as you aren't doing any items that are required to be refridgerated you don't have to be licensed, as long as you are not making $20,000 a year.

Iowa is a Happy Baking Stateicon_smile.gif


Quote by @%username% on %date%