This Might Be A Dumb Question...

Baking By Tisha___ Updated 18 Nov 2008 , 5:21pm by Tisha___

Tisha___ Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 11

Someone suggested I use the No Fail Sugar Cookie recipe from this site, to make a "23" cake topper for a birthday cake I'm making.

This sounds like a good idea to me, but I was trying to think of a way to incorporate the color I want it to be into the cookie, rather than having to ice it. Could I add some gel coloring (the kind I would typically use to color icing with) to the dough, in place of some of the extract or something like that?

Like I said, this might be a dumb questions, but I thought it would be cool if I could color the cookies instead of just icing them.

Thanks!

10 replies
kakedecorator Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 11

When I have done this I have noticed after I have baked it the color comes out lighter then the unbaked dough.

Tisha___ Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 11

But it is possible? Thanks!

Did you substitute the coloring for part of the flavoring, or did you use the full flavoring and then just add the coloring too?

kakedecorator Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 11

Yes it is possible but you won't get deep colors. Never thought about it, I just add the coloring.

shiney Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 11

Tisha: Wilton has spray color, I spray cookies (for example spray ladybug cookie red, then black icing for head and dots). I do that for people that I know don't like a lot of sweet. Just a thought

SILVERCAT Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 11

Just add the color gel and do NOT cut the flavoring down! Good Luck I think it is fun to add the color to cookie dough!

Honeydukes Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 9:31pm
post #7 of 11

You can color your dough with gel coloring. Put them in a zippy bag and knead.

You could also use egg yolk paint to decorate the cookies before you bake.

Egg Yolk Paint
Blend well 1 egg yolk and 1/4 teaspoon water. Divide mixture among several small custard cups. Add a different food coloring to each cup to make bright colors. Paint designs on cookies with small paintbrushes. If egg yolk paint thickens on standing, add a few drops of water.

I do like the idea of the Wilton spray, Shiney. Hadn't thought of that -- thanks!

Tisha___ Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 3:47pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks so much for all the great ideas and info, everyone.

Tisha___ Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 2:58pm
post #9 of 11

Take a look at my flickr page (link in my signature)! They cookies turned out great!!!

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!

JenWhitlock Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 3:39pm
post #10 of 11

great job! they turned out super! thumbs_up.gif

I cookie lady that I used to know in CA, used to color her dough and I loved the way it looked.
I did it for a couple of my Christmas cookies last year:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1170573

Tisha___ Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 5:21pm
post #11 of 11

Those are SUPER cute, Jen!!! Love them.

I'm so ready for Christmas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%