What's The Best Way To Get Sand To Stick To Cake Board?

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 1:08am by Cakey1865

LoriMc Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 13

I am using crushed graham crackers for sand around an army tank cake. What's the best way to keep the sand from coming off my cakeboard?

I was thinking of coating it first with something like buttercream or karo syrup. Anybody tried this?

12 replies
KimAZ Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 13

I use piping gel but buttercream or karo syrup, even royal icing would work too. I like using something clear just so it doesn't show through the crumbs.

KimAZ

KathysCC Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 13

I think the Caro would work better than buttercream but my favorite "glue" is gumpaste mix with water added. It makes a wonderfully sticky glue for fondant work too.

Win Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 13

Piping gel or Karo syrup, yes. It will hold down a base layer of sand. If you are mounding the sand then it will still shift. If you want the appearance of mounded sand, then make the mounds of RF and, while it is still wet, sprinkle the "sand" over it.
HTH

LoriMc Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Piping gel or Karo syrup, yes. It will hold down a base layer of sand. If you are mounding the sand then it will still shift. If you want the appearance of mounded sand, then make the mounds of RF and, while it is still wet, sprinkle the "sand" over it.
HTH

What is RF?

Also on that gumpaste "glue", can you add color to it?

KathysCC Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 13

I don't see why you couldn't add color to the gumpaste glue. It is a light brownish yellow but see-thru so it would take color I am sure.

cylstrial Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 11:21pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

HTH

What is RF?

Also on that gumpaste "glue", can you add color to it?

I think maybe she meant RI (Royal Icing) and you can definitely color gum glue. Just put a put of color in and swish it around. Keep adding color until you have the right shade.

jennifer7777 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 11:45pm
post #8 of 13

I usually just spread out some buttercream then put the crackers over that.

harrison Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 11:54pm
post #9 of 13

I once used corn syrup. I took a flat brush and painted on a thin layer. I also did this with the decorations that I wanted to look like they had sand on. Hope this helps.

DianeLM Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 12:43am
post #10 of 13

FYI - If you cover your cake boards with contact paper, corn syrup won't work. It puddles just like mercury. It's kind of cool to watch, but doesn't help the sand stick!

I like to brush on a mixture of piping gel and water and sprinkle the sand on that.

tarheelgirl Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 12:56am
post #11 of 13

I recently did a grooms cake with the baseball hat on a base and crushed graham crackers around it! Karo syrup worked great for it!!! They did not budge even on the car ride!

ladyonzlake Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:00am
post #12 of 13

I made 100 mini sand castle cakes with grahm crackers and I used my buttercream and piping gel. They both worked great!

Cakey1865 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:08am
post #13 of 13

I live on the beach and I like using buttercream because it just seems to add something to it because you can make it hilly and flat just like a beach is but then again your doing a tank.....just my 2 cents icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%