Sticking Nuts To The Side Of Cakes!!!

Decorating By angiev77 Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 5:04pm by leah_s

angiev77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angiev77 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone have any tips for putting chopped nuts on the sides of cakes? I wanted to cover the sides of one of my cakes with chopped pecans but I can't figure out how to get them on there without getting icing all over my hand and messing up the cake!!!!

8 replies
sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 9

The only way that I know how is to place the nuts in a large container, pick up cake, tilt slightly, and using your other hand, take a large handful and press against cake sides, rotating as you go. The nuts that fall off will land back in the container so you wont' have nuts everywhere.

If anyone does it differently, I would like to know. icon_smile.gif

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 9

I've only seen it done that way, too. Try looking on youtube--there's probably a video on there for this. Martha showed it on her show not too long ago.

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 9

That's how I do it too. I use a 1/2 sheet cake pan, dump in the chopped nuts and while holding the cake over the pan at a tilt, scoop up a palm full and press into the sides of cake. If you don't trust yourself to hold a tilting cake with one hand icon_wink.gif , then just place the cake board edge that is opposite from you into the pan, and keep your hand under the rest of the board to keep it tilted. Then that edge of the board will be resting in the pan against the bottom, and it may feel more secure.

Sorry if confusing...easier to show than tell!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 9

That's the way I do it, too.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambugjoebear

The only way that I know how is to place the nuts in a large container, pick up cake, tilt slightly, and using your other hand, take a large handful and press against cake sides, rotating as you go. The nuts that fall off will land back in the container so you wont' have nuts everywhere.

That's the best way to do it!

goldenegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldenegg Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:42pm
post #7 of 9

lol those ways are much better than mine, i just made one the other night and i took a handful of nuts and tossed them at the sides of the cake! i laughed while i did it cuz it was so ridiculous and messy, but i was rushing icon_biggrin.gif

angiev77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angiev77 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:53pm
post #8 of 9

LOL!!! Don't feel bad, I threw them at the side of the cake too!!! When I tried to press them into the icing I ended up with icing all over my hands and the nuts didn't stay very well. Maybe I need to let the icing set up for a little while before I put the nuts on. I figured they wouldn't stick if I let the icing crust first.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 9

You need to put the nuts on immediately. Do not let the icing crust, and use a light touch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%