laly Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:58pm
post #91 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraClassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

I have yet to find a cake scratch or other, that yields the amount of moistness this method produces. Not to mention, it traps in the flavor as well. When steam is created in the cooking process (no matter what the food) when steam escapes so does some of the flavor. Now granted in most foods that is going to happen because you want to eat the food hot so the flavor loss is minimal.

It is a far better method than brushing with simple syrup (yuck) or liquor.

I don't know if all those pastry chefs over the last 200 yrs, or so are wrong about syrup. It can add a certain flavor level to a cake. Are you saying you disagree with the method?

On finding a scratch recipe that will yield moistness, just create one of your own.

Mike

I started reading this from the beginning just to see what the technique is, but man I tell ya mike you sure do like to challenge everyones opinion on things. Just enjoy someone sharing and let it be. You have posted to me in the past with a " I dont want to start drama BUT..." line and it seems to be repiditive.
Thank you everyone for your input and ideas I think all of us doing it differently is what makes all of our cakes yummy in our own way.
icon_wink.gif

Amen
Mike really if you don't agree with her method just don't do it. She's just sharing her tips not trying to get anybody to do it.
Cakesdivine thanks for taking your time to share with us your tips and experience.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:56pm
post #92 of 123

I really want to try this. I have one question though. Do you have to frost it frozen? If not, do you unwrap it and let it come to room temp. I'm a slow "froster" icon_redface.gif and was worried abou the cake sweating while frosting it icon_biggrin.gif And thanks for sharing this tip! thumbs_up.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:27pm
post #93 of 123

I thaw mine, still wrapped, in the refrigerator for 24 hrs - then frost while it's cold.

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:00am
post #94 of 123

Thanks for sharing!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:33am
post #95 of 123

I frost mine partially frozen. They are easier to level still slightly frozen. I never have a problem with icing them in this state either, but I have heard of others that do. It could be a difference in the icing being used. My bc recipe is a meringue based bc with butter and shortening.

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:49pm
post #96 of 123

I wouldnt be as scared of the creepy crawling bacteria as Iam of the serious toxins that are released when plastic is heated! icon_surprised.gif Perhaps I will try this method with foil...

cakesdivine Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:45pm
post #97 of 123

That is usually attributed to microwave use and certain plastics.

mommy2kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2kids Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:58pm
post #98 of 123

I LOVE this cake method, best cakes ever!!!!! Try it, it works for me, and everyone loves the cakes.

ashea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashea Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:14pm
post #99 of 123

This is a great tip and I do this but my concern is this, if the cake is just out of the oven and you do the plastic wrap, with all the concerns with plastic leeching I might want to wait until the cake is warm but no fresh out of the oven. Just a precaution because they say not to microwave with plastic wrap because it causes the plastic to leech into the food breaking down the chemicals with the steam. Sorry to be a pooper her guys. I again love the wrap in plastic and then freezing the cakes . I am not bashing anyone here, just wanted to say what I have heard about HOT items and plastic.

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:49pm
post #100 of 123

Hi a little more inforamation regarding the plastic

I called the GLAD 800 835-4523 and spoke with a customer service rep who was very friendly.

According to him Press and Seal it is a #4 plastic called Polyethelene. It is not recyclable (spelling?). According to him it would not leach out toxins.

He recommends for the use of freezing to use the Press and Seal Freezer which would do a better job in regards protecting against freezer burn.

He said they are currently working on creating a recyclable Press and Seal.

Hope this helps.

cakesdivine Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:50pm
post #101 of 123

Press & Seal wrap will not be effected by the heat, But regular plastic wraps can melt from the heat...USE PRESS N'SEAL from Glad!

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:52pm
post #102 of 123

Or you can buy the heavy duty food wrap from Sam's - it doesn't melt from the heat of the cakes, and you can get 3000 ft for around $11 bucks.

2sweetcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sweetcookies Posted 23 May 2009 , 11:16pm
post #103 of 123

This may be a silly question but I'm going to ask anyway.

Does his method work for any type of scratch cake? Being a butter cake or using whipped egg whites? I am just asking because I remember reading that someone made a butter cake and it did not freeze well, but that was just one person.

cakesdivine Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:10am
post #104 of 123

I have no clue how this method will react to this. I do know that I have done it with a box mix butter cake and all butter cakes are heavy and have a gritty texture, the freezing made it more moist but not to the level a non-butter cake will hold the moisture.

sweetkisscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkisscakes Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:52am
post #105 of 123

I add pudding mix to my cake mix to make it extra moist and dense. If i also used the freeze method would it break apart when i try to ice it.

Also I was always told to not frost frozen cake because it will crack is this a myth?

cakesdivine Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:44am
post #106 of 123

That is why you line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper. It won't crack or break if you have the parchment in place. Re read the original post to learn how to do it correctly. I have been using this method for about 20 years and once Press N seal came on the scene it has worked even better!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:10am
post #107 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Silly old me hopping on the band wagon to share my silly old thoughts...

If I had to worry about all of the things I've seen come up regarding health practices with cakes, I'd be the most paranoid freak ever.

I use rubber stamps, I'll use the Preval sprayer if I can get my hands on one, I stick floral wires into cakes, paint food coloring on with regular old paintbrushes... Oh, and so does Duff (who never freezes his cakes).

icon_smile.gif

Thank you....good grief! I'll add to it. I used spatulas from the hardware store before I knew about bench scrapers that were food safe. I still use regular ole' paintbrushes (if there are food safe paint brushes, cool. I ain't buying them though!) Ummmm...foam core! I'll never give it up! Oh, oh...contact paper! Satin ribbon that was produced in dirty third world slave shops (lined with the afore mentioned contact paper....what else.....scrapbook paper for my cake drums, yeah that stuff, that you pick out by the single sheet that was on shelf for who knows how long and was touched by who knows who (again, covered with that devilish contact paper)

icon_twisted.gificon_biggrin.gif I'm sure I have more.

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:55pm
post #108 of 123

I'm so confused.

Advice can get downright contradictory. I'm not questioning cakesdivine's proven 20 year old technique, but I remember reading (on another CC thread) that steam trapped in a cake was a bad thing! icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_cry.gif

Their advice said to flip the cakes from the pan no more than 3 minutes after the pans come out of the oven and allow the cakes to cool on a rack. They said if you leave the cakes in the pan as it cools, steam will get trapped and cause the cakes to get soggy and mushy.

Cakesdivine, is "freezing" the key difference? The steam gets frozen before it has a chance to make the cake soggy?

This sounds like a question for Alton Brown!!

Amymnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amymnn Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:26pm
post #109 of 123

Thanks so much Cakesdivine for posting the detailed instructions! I can't wait to try it icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:34pm
post #110 of 123

I honestly don't understand how anyone can think that a blazing hot a$$ cake that you can't even touch with your fingers, that is say about 250 to 300 degrees, placed in wrap and put immediately into a subzero environment is going to get germy. Excuse my elementary vocabulary on the subject, but it just doesn't make sense.

cakesdivine Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:39pm
post #111 of 123

You took the words right out of my mouth jamie...LOL!

cakesdivine Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:40pm
post #112 of 123

OOps double post...

But to answer the mushy soggy cake issue. The reason leaving in pan causes that is because the trapped moister remains totally trapped on the sides and bottom, while the top moisture escapes. But with the wrap freeze method the steam is equally distributed and you unwrap the cake and let it defrost out of the wrap thus allowing the excess moisture to evaporate. The cake will be extremely moist but shouldn't be soggy as if someone poured a liquid on it. The cake will require a really good support system if being tiered and does not fair as well on 3D cakes. If I have a 3D cake I carve it semi-frozen and crumb coat. Allow it to fully defrost and settle before placing it back in the fridge then cover with the fondant or second BC layer is applied.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:16pm
post #113 of 123

Thank you Cakesdivine for your awesome tips and information! I'm about to bake a cake right now and I don't have any 'press & seal' handy...is there an alternative to that? I do have heavy duty foil and regular suran wrap?? please help I really do want to try you method but don't have time to run to the store this very moment...icon_smile.gif

Thank you again!!

cakesdivine Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:39am
post #114 of 123

I just now saw this so I have no idea if I got to you in time. Foil or other plastic wraps can be used, however they are problematic. Foil isn't the best sealer and can misshape the warm cake. Plastic wrap can melt from the heat or shrink in the freezing process causing mishaping of the cake as well. It is a crap shoot trying anything other than PressN Seal but before it's invention I too used regular plastic wrap, but can't remember the brand I used that didn't shrink. I think it was Glad wrap as well.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:18am
post #115 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

I just now saw this so I have no idea if I got to you in time. Foil or other plastic wraps can be used, however they are problematic. Foil isn't the best sealer and can misshape the warm cake. Plastic wrap can melt from the heat or shrink in the freezing process causing mishaping of the cake as well. It is a crap shoot trying anything other than PressN Seal but before it's invention I too used regular plastic wrap, but can't remember the brand I used that didn't shrink. I think it was Glad wrap as well.

Thank you Cakesdivine you're the best!!! thumbs_up.gif...you know, I decided to wait until tomorrow so I can go buy 'PressN Seal' and I will certainly follow your advice. And, I'm so happy I saw your thread because now I know I can freeze for a few days. I'm a begginer and only do cakes for friends and family, but last week I got an order for 2 cakes and I freaked out LOL icon_biggrin.gif (that's a lot for me icon_redface.gif ) so, I will bake tomorrow and freeze for a week.
THANK YOU CAKESDIVINE!!! icon_smile.gif

Inacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Inacake Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:25pm
post #116 of 123

I've been having a problem with my cakes lacking moistness. I'm definitely going to try this one! Thanks Cakesdivine! icon_smile.gif

momba5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momba5 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:04am
post #117 of 123

my wilton instructor gave the exact same method of freezing cakes in plastic wrap, hot! right out of the oven. Works for me.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:56am
post #118 of 123

I have been using this method for about the past year (Ha the time I started baking seriously) I swear by it 100%. I am a completly scratch baker and freeze each and everyone, butter, merigue floded in, chocolate, you name i bake and freeze. I have never had a dry cake (with the help of my other baking tip)

To answer the plastic concern, they now make a microwavable safe saran wrap that wont leach the bad stuff.

My cakes never fall apart (except one chocolate but its ober moist and takes a bit a pratice!)

I freeze defrosted I hate torting a frozen cake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sweetcookies

Does his method work for any type of scratch cake? Being a butter cake or using whipped egg whites? I am just asking because I remember reading that someone made a butter cake and it did not freeze well, but that was just one person.

jesgabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jesgabe Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:33pm
post #119 of 123

I like to torte my cakes and fill, how do you do that, when they are still frozen?

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:49pm
post #120 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeandDazzle

I have been using this method for about the past year (Ha the time I started baking seriously) I swear by it 100%. I am a completly scratch baker and freeze each and everyone, butter, merigue floded in, chocolate, you name i bake and freeze. I have never had a dry cake (with the help of my other baking tip)

To answer the plastic concern, they now make a microwavable safe saran wrap that wont leach the bad stuff.

My cakes never fall apart (except one chocolate but its ober moist and takes a bit a pratice!)

I defrost them for a couple hours before i start working... I hate torting a frozen cake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sweetcookies

Edited to fix my nonsense....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%