Decorating Cookies

Baking By Karema Updated 21 Nov 2008 , 3:34am by Mickeebabe

Karema Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 11

I have to make some decorated sugar cookies for an event and have now idea how to make them. I want to used the nfsc recipe and use icing to decorate. I dont know what kind of ising I'm supposed to use or how to even make it so I can use different colors. How do I do this with out icing going all over the place. Help can someone walk me through this.
Karema

10 replies
kakedecorator Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 11

I use royal icing. I have some I did for a display three years ago and they still look like new.

SILVERCAT Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 11

Use the NFSC recipe from here for cookies. If you want easy and havent used royal icing than try using rolled buttercream from here. It works the same way fondant does. I use roled butter cream bc I have no luck with making my own fondant! Good luck

msulli10 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 11

Use the NFSC recipe and Antonia's royal icing- it works great. You can adjust the consistency when decorating the cookies. Use medium to outline, thin to flood and stiffer to decorate.

panchanewjersey Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 11

Any royal icing will do, everyone talks so much about Antonia74? I've never tried it but i'm sure it does wonders the pictures of people who have used it are nice. Fondant looks real nice too, just more work.

Susie53 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 10:00pm
post #7 of 11

I would go with royal icing.

Temptations Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 12:14am
post #8 of 11

I prefer Toby's Glace because it seems a bit softer. When I used royal the top details fell off when they dried. I wasn't able to put them in bags without half the details falling off. After hours of work I was heartbroken! Toby's has never let me down. Just make sure that you don't make it too thin for flooding because it will flow right over your outlines. I've done that too. icon_smile.gif

Honeydukes Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 6:02am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temptations

I prefer Toby's Glace...

Just so we're clear and this isn't a totally different recipe -- are you talking about TOBA Garrett's Glace'?
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2119-Toba-Garretts-Glace-Icing.html

Sweetlepea Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 8:52pm
post #10 of 11

I got this recipe and now only use it.. I'm not a big fan of the hard RI, and it breaks much easier. this icing dries to look like RI but taste like Buttercream. And after the icing dries overnite, you can stack them without a problem.. And I think it tastes YUMMMMY icon_lol.gif

1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons milk
2 teaspoons light corn syrup (depending on how thick you want it...I adjust the corn syrup depending on what type of design i am doing,border etc..)
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla

Assorted food coloring Paste

This is for 1 dozen cookies you can adjust it to what ever you need.

'In a small bowl or your mixer, stir together confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and almond and vanilla extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.'

Mickeebabe Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 3:34am
post #11 of 11

Hi

Can you use it like RI and build a dam on the outside and then flood it?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlepea

I got this recipe and now only use it.. I'm not a big fan of the hard RI, and it breaks much easier. this icing dries to look like RI but taste like Buttercream. And after the icing dries overnite, you can stack them without a problem.. And I think it tastes YUMMMMY icon_lol.gif

1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons milk
2 teaspoons light corn syrup (depending on how thick you want it...I adjust the corn syrup depending on what type of design i am doing,border etc..)
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla

Assorted food coloring Paste

This is for 1 dozen cookies you can adjust it to what ever you need.

'In a small bowl or your mixer, stir together confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and almond and vanilla extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.'

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%