Carrot Cake In 3" Pans

Decorating By cathie_shinnick Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 9:06pm by pnnllj

cathie_shinnick Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a 2 tier carrot cake In 3" pans 1 10" and 1 8" for a wedding. Since it is so dense with the carrots , how do I bake it? should I decrease the temp and bake it longer? Or should I bake them in 2" pans and then assemble that way. Im afraid of the centers not cooking . Would a cone in the center of both cakes help? Also can I mix butter creme and creamcheese to make the icing?

5 replies
leah_s Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 6

My carrot cake is so dense, I frequently have to bake in 1" layers, level and then assemble.

PS I think 3" pans are quite horrid.

kakeladi Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 6

Ooohhhh I soooooo agree w/leahsicon_smile.gif

have_your_cake Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 6

I just made the mistake of baking one in a 3 inch pan. Don't. The middle never got done, even with a flower nail. Use thinner layers.

mcdonald Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 6

My vote is for 2 inch pans at 325......... that's what I do and it works out great.. just takes a while because it is so dense... but well worth it... mine turn out level and done every time doing this...

Good luck!!!

pnnllj Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 6

Carrot cake is one of my most popular cakes, I always bake mine in 3" pans. Use the cone thingy in the bigger pans. I bake at 350 and have never had any trouble other than once in a while the center will sink a little if I open the oven door too much (I get impatient). I have done up to a 14" round with the cone thing and it turned out great. For a wedding I have used white buttercream on the outside and the cream cheese frosting for the filling. Personally, I prefer all cream cheese but that was what the bride wanted and she was happy with it. I like the 3" pans myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%