Carrot Cake In 3" Pans

Decorating By cathie_shinnick Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 9:06pm by pnnllj

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a 2 tier carrot cake In 3" pans 1 10" and 1 8" for a wedding. Since it is so dense with the carrots , how do I bake it? should I decrease the temp and bake it longer? Or should I bake them in 2" pans and then assemble that way. Im afraid of the centers not cooking . Would a cone in the center of both cakes help? Also can I mix butter creme and creamcheese to make the icing?

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 6

My carrot cake is so dense, I frequently have to bake in 1" layers, level and then assemble.

PS I think 3" pans are quite horrid.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 6

Ooohhhh I soooooo agree w/leahsicon_smile.gif

have_your_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have_your_cake Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 6

I just made the mistake of baking one in a 3 inch pan. Don't. The middle never got done, even with a flower nail. Use thinner layers.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 6

My vote is for 2 inch pans at 325......... that's what I do and it works out great.. just takes a while because it is so dense... but well worth it... mine turn out level and done every time doing this...

Good luck!!!

pnnllj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pnnllj Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 6

Carrot cake is one of my most popular cakes, I always bake mine in 3" pans. Use the cone thingy in the bigger pans. I bake at 350 and have never had any trouble other than once in a while the center will sink a little if I open the oven door too much (I get impatient). I have done up to a 14" round with the cone thing and it turned out great. For a wedding I have used white buttercream on the outside and the cream cheese frosting for the filling. Personally, I prefer all cream cheese but that was what the bride wanted and she was happy with it. I like the 3" pans myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%