New Scam-Anyone Got This One?

Decorating By summernoelle Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 5:01pm by summernoelle

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 17

I got this this morning. Never heard it before-anyone else?

JOPREZ ART WORLD INC.
Guangzhou Dasha
Tou Shen Road, china
Tell: 86-134-288-660-39/Fax: 86-134-288-651-39
[email protected]

Dear Sir/Ma

My name is Gmeinder Johannes and I am an artist. I live in United Kingdom,with my two kids and the love of my life. I have been doing artwork since I was a kid .That gives me about 23 years of experience. I majored in art in high school and took a few college art courses. Most of my work is done in either pencil or airbrush mixed with color pencils. I have recently added designing and creating artwork on the computer.I just came about your email address through an email listing affiliated company.

I have been selling my art for the last 3 years and have had my work featured on trading cards, prints and in magazines. I have sold in galleries and to private collectors from all around the world. I am always facing serious difficulties when it comes to selling my art works to Americans and some European who came here on conference or excebition, they are always offering to pay with a CREDIT CARD, which is difficult for me to proccess since i don't have credit card facility.Therefore i seek for your assitance in this regard.

I am looking for a representative in the your country who will be working for me as a part time worker and I will be willing to pay 10% for every transaction,which wouldn't affect your present state of work, someone who would help me receive payments from my customers in the country. I mean someone that is responsible and reliable and God fearing, because have been lossing a client do to not be able process thier credit card.

I am working on setting up website where they could order online, so for now I need a representative in the your states who will be handling the payment aspect.These payments are in CREDIT CARD and i will forward the CREDIT CARD details for to process on my behave since you have a credit card facilities, so after this is done , deduct your 10 % percentage and wire the rest back to me via western union money transfer or money gram money transfer, all transfer fees should be deducted from the money.

WHENEVER YOU PROCESS A PAYMENT YOU WILL GET 10% ON EACH. FOR AN EXAMPLE IF YOU PROCESS CARD WORTH $2000 YOU WILL GET $200 FROM THAT AND GET THE 90% TO THE
COMPANY.

If you are interested, please get back to me as soon as possible with the following information:

1.Full names
2.Phone number/fax
3.Full contact address( not P. O. Box).
4.Marital status and Age
5.Nationality
6.An identification document

Regards,

Gmeinder Johannes
[email protected]

16 replies
KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 17

I think it's a scam. For someone who FINISHED high school, and took some college courses to have grammar THIS BAD, there's no other conclusion.

Why do they need your marital status? Or your nationality? Or an identification document? They contacted YOU!

If they are setting up a website, they can set up PAYPAL, if they are legit.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 17

That is such a scam there should be no question in your mind.

hwnhulahands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hwnhulahands Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 17

I think it's a scam. They can set up paypal if credit card is hard for them.

rachel-b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachel-b Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 17

SCAM!!! DO NOT REPLY to that email. The next "step" would probably entail you giving your credit card or banking account number...for verification purposes, of course. If a random stranger walked up to you and asked you to do this, would you?

MegWinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MegWinn Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:12pm
post #6 of 17

Of course it's a scam...websites and paypal take almost no effort or time to set up. Liar liar pants on fire...

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:16pm
post #7 of 17

IMO, a legit company would not be using a gmail account, in addition to what the others said.

gales Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gales Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:24pm
post #8 of 17

A scam certainly. What a cheek to think someone would fall for it.

flbeachbummom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flbeachbummom Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:32pm
post #9 of 17

A definite scam. They've had similar things like this on Dateline, except I think they involved check cashing!

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:38pm
post #10 of 17

And no one's even commented on the fact that they are in CHINA! icon_smile.gif
SCAM............SCAM..............SCAM

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:41pm
post #11 of 17

Actually, they say they are in the UK, but then have their address in China??? Definitely a scam!!

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:41pm
post #12 of 17

SCAM-SCAM-Run as fast as you can!

Asking for an identification document = identity theft!!!!

uabcjgrad2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uabcjgrad2006 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:43pm
post #13 of 17

This is DEFINITELY a scam. I just attended a fraud conference and this is exactly the methodology they use. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT FALL FOR THIS. It's similar to Nigerian scams where they send you a REAL viable, cashable check...you deposit it into your account and send them their portion back. They then stop payment on the check and you are ultimately responsible for the debt. Unfortunately people fall for this all the time. I work for the Sheriff's Office and urge you to NEVER entertain this type of transaction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goldenegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldenegg Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:49pm
post #14 of 17

its a scam, and anything you receive in the future that remotely resembles it is a scam. in fact any email you receive from anyone especially outside the country asking/inquiring/informing about anything involving money, is a scam. don't trust anyone with any type of online transaction unless you know the person well or you're ordering something from a well known e-commerce site i.e. amazon, global sugar art, etc. (and even then it's risky).

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:53pm
post #15 of 17

It just amazes me that anyone would actually fall for this but I know that they do. I used to work for a bank and people were always giving out their information to strangers over the phone. Then they would call the bank when money was withdrawn from their account. Unfortunately there is nothing the bank could do since they vounntarily gave out their information. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER give out information unless you initiated the contact!

dolcebaci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcebaci Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:54pm
post #16 of 17

110% scam, I have been requested to make a few wedding cakes and their line is "We will come an pick it up" .

And yes they have asked for the same information from...and my answer to them is ...sorry only PAYPAL at this point.

And the emails quickly come to a hault...oh yes...I also block their emails from coming in ...

Dolce...Toronto Canada

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:01pm
post #17 of 17

Oh, no! I KNOW it was a scam, I thought it was so funny/stupid, and just wanted to know if anyone else had gotten it. lol. Don't worry, I'm not dumb enough to reply. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%