Wasc Cake From Scratch?

Decorating By marriedtoagreek74 Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 5:30pm by UltimateCakes

marriedtoagreek74  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marriedtoagreek74 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:39pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

I live overseas and they only have one type of cake mix here and that is choco and it's about 7 euros or $9-10 a box. Needless to say I am a scratch baker because of this and also just because I like to do it that way. I am always reading about the WASC cake and really want to use it but would have to do from scratch, anyone know how to do this? Also I have a recipe for a White Texas Sheet cake, is the same type of taste/recipe?

TIA,
Amy

4 replies
 UltimateCakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 5

Definately a candidate for my WASC:

The *original* WASC cake recipe by kakeladi
1 box cake mix (I prefere Betty Crocker) *see notes at end
1 cup flour
1 cup granulated sugar
generous dash of salt*

1 cup sour cream*
1 cup water *
3 whole eggs
1 tablespoon flavoring*
In bowl mix together dry ingredients. It's helpful if you use a wire wisk, but optional. In mixer bowl place next 3 ingredients. Add about 1/2 of the dry ingredients and blend together, then add the rest of the dry ingredients & blend. Mix for 2 minutes.
Pour into prepared pans * and bake as usual.

*NOTES: any cake flavor can be used. Match the flavoring to the cake flavor such use lemon/almond mix for lemon cake; strawberry for a strawberry cake etc, etc. For most flavors you can use a mixture of vanilla, butter, and almond which is what I do most of the time.
You can use milk, cream or even juice for the liquid.
This recipe is based on mixing in a kitchenaid mixer. I use position #1 to stir it, then #4 or 5 to mix the batter.
Most of the time I forget to add the salticon_smile.gif
On rare occasions I have used other brands of mix.
This makes the amount of batter as if you used 1 1/2 mixes and is perfect for a 10" sq OR 9x13 OR two 8" or three 6" round; or a 12" round; and other combinations of pans.
I prefere to bake at 300 degrees for about 20-30 minutes (depending on size of cake) then turn oven up to 325 for about an equal time. Use your nose - if you smell it most likely it is done. If cake has pulled away from sides it is overbaked After cooling, the top might be a bit sticky.
The flavoring I most often use is this mixture:
1 part vanilla extract
1/2 part butter flavoring
1/4 part almond flavoring

A "Part" is any measure be it teaspoon; tablespoon; cup or quart. Since I made many wedding cakes I usually mixed it up by the cup about once a monthicon_smile.gif

Some people have told me they use yogurt instead of sour cream....I never tried that.
And that's right.......there is NO oil/butter/margerine used in this recipe.

Happy baking to you!

Sent to me bu Kakeladi

marriedtoagreek74  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marriedtoagreek74 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateCakes

Definately a candidate for my WASC:

The *original* WASC cake recipe by kakeladi
1 box cake mix (I prefere Betty Crocker) *see notes at end
1 cup flour
1 cup granulated sugar
generous dash of salt*

1 cup sour cream*
1 cup water *
3 whole eggs
1 tablespoon flavoring*
In bowl mix together dry ingredients. It's helpful if you use a wire wisk, but optional. In mixer bowl place next 3 ingredients. Add about 1/2 of the dry ingredients and blend together, then add the rest of the dry ingredients & blend. Mix for 2 minutes.
Pour into prepared pans * and bake as usual.

*NOTES: any cake flavor can be used. Match the flavoring to the cake flavor such use lemon/almond mix for lemon cake; strawberry for a strawberry cake etc, etc. For most flavors you can use a mixture of vanilla, butter, and almond which is what I do most of the time.
You can use milk, cream or even juice for the liquid.
This recipe is based on mixing in a kitchenaid mixer. I use position #1 to stir it, then #4 or 5 to mix the batter.
Most of the time I forget to add the salticon_smile.gif
On rare occasions I have used other brands of mix.
This makes the amount of batter as if you used 1 1/2 mixes and is perfect for a 10" sq OR 9x13 OR two 8" or three 6" round; or a 12" round; and other combinations of pans.
I prefere to bake at 300 degrees for about 20-30 minutes (depending on size of cake) then turn oven up to 325 for about an equal time. Use your nose - if you smell it most likely it is done. If cake has pulled away from sides it is overbaked After cooling, the top might be a bit sticky.
The flavoring I most often use is this mixture:
1 part vanilla extract
1/2 part butter flavoring
1/4 part almond flavoring

A "Part" is any measure be it teaspoon; tablespoon; cup or quart. Since I made many wedding cakes I usually mixed it up by the cup about once a monthicon_smile.gif

Some people have told me they use yogurt instead of sour cream....I never tried that.
And that's right.......there is NO oil/butter/margerine used in this recipe.

Happy baking to you!

Sent to me bu Kakeladi

Sorry, I am a little confused. I don't have a box cake mix that I can use here except for chocolate and they are too expensive, is there way to do it totally from scratch??

Thanks

bashini  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 5

Hi, here is a link to the Champagne WASC Cake,

http://forum.cakecentral.com/champagne-wasc-cake-recipe-ftopicp-6161007.html#6161007

But I am prety sure that I saw a link for the scratch recipe and I tried to find it. But I couldn't. I will keep on trying and if I find it I'll post it. icon_smile.gif

UltimateCakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 5

icon_redface.gif Sorry, my mistake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%