Holly Berry Sprigs

Decorating By smashcakes Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 7:57pm by Dinny2222

smashcakes Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:24am
post #1 of 8

i'm dong a cake for a lady with "creative liscense". she wants chocolate icing, so i would like to ice it in chocolate, top it with a fondant "tablecloth" if that makes sense, and on top of that place a gumpast sprig of holly berries and the leaves. i can figure out the berries (duh), but how do i go about making the little leafy/sprig things? does anybody have any idea, or can point me somewhere, thanks so much.

7 replies
leah_s Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:34am
post #2 of 8

There are plenty of sizes of holly leaf cutters. Practically every manufacturer has one. Even Wilton.

kakeladi Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 8

This is one 'flower' you are going to have to wire.
Use floral wire in the leaves, cover & tape together w/floral tape .

sillywabbitz Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 8

I am pretty sure I got this idea from CakeCentral, so thanks to whoever came up with it. But for the cake I did for my mom, I sugared Rosemary and cranberries. Just took real rosemary, put it through an egg white wash, and rolled it in regular sugar, then let it dry for several hours.

I did have to water down the egg whites because they were a little too goopy and I scrapped off the excess goop as well before I rolled them in the sugar.

I loved the effect and it was really easy to do.

Dinny2222 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 8

didn't the rosemary flavor seep into the icing?

handymama Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:48pm
post #6 of 8

Nice look but I'd suggest using superfine sugar.

sillywabbitz Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:55pm
post #7 of 8

I agree, a finer sugar would have worked better and discovering to wipe off the majority of the wash earlier would have helped tooicon_smile.gif

There was no rosemary flavor in the cake. I let it dry a very long time and I let the cream cheese frosting crust. Added the details before I drove it to her house. It probably sat totally constructed for around 2-3 hours and we didn't taste the rosemary. Maybe the egg and sugar created enough of a barrier.

Next time I will probably grind a finer sugar.

Dinny2222 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:57pm
post #8 of 8

Looks very festive. I like the idea was just wondering about the rosemary. Tks for clearing that up

Quote by @%username% on %date%