When To Use Wooden Dowell?

Decorating By tammynblake Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 3:33am by leah_s

tammynblake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammynblake Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:03am
post #1 of 6

Newby here. Can someone please tell me when do you use wooden dowells? I am making just a round cake to play with and want to make it bigger than just a normal 2 layer size. And while I'm on that subject, how may layers (9 inch pan) do you put together to make a nice cake? TIA.

Tammy

5 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:09am
post #2 of 6

Welcome to CC! I no longer use the wooden dowels because of spintering and if you do put them in straws cause some people say the cake tastes like wood. I use bubble tea straws instead. If it is only a 9" with 2 layers, I usually don't use any. If I use three tiers all the same size 9", I use one down the middle to stabilize. You usually use them to keep what is on top of your layers, like mutli tiers, from crushing down on the bottom tier or going lopsided. Don't forgot to add sps or cardboard cake circles.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:09am
post #3 of 6

In a word - NEVER. There are better ways to support tiers than using wood dowels: plastic drink straws &/or SPS. It depends on how many tiers and how tall each tier is.

the rule of thumb is to support any cake above 4"-5" tall. If you put together three 2" layers you really don't need to use dowels. It might help to use one thru the center if the cake is going to be transported

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:21am
post #4 of 6

Yes, my answer was also going to be never. If you're supporting a tiered cake, use SPS. Let's get you started right and then we won't see you over on the Cake Disasters Forum.

tammynblake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammynblake Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:32am
post #5 of 6

thanks so much for the replies. One more question, what in the world is SPS?

Tammy

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:33am
post #6 of 6

SPS = Single Plate Separator.

Note my signature line.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%