No Hurt Feelings!!!

Decorating By Marina Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 1:35am by Ruth0209

Marina Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 7

I was asked to make a 2 tiered wedding cake for a friend of a friend. She wanted it to serve 50-75 people so I was thinking maybe a 12" and a 9". Wanted fondant and roses (not sure if she wanted fresh or gumpaste roses) and delivered (not far, maybe 20-25 minutes from here). So I quoted her $300.00. I didn't get a response for a couple of days until today when she emailed me to say that even though my price is reasonable, it's just not in her budget. "Old me" would have probably emailed her back and lowered the price..."new me" is thinking I'm not going to lower the price because she can't afford it!!!! I have bent over backwards for such a long time now for people, but I'm not going to take it anymore!!!! My time is too valuable. I feel good walking away without feeling guilty! I'm not taking it personally. I think I have finally reached a milestone. icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
hallow3 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 7

Oh good for you! Finally we cake people are getting what we deserve.

adven68 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 7

It's the only way you won't start to resent something that you probably love to do. Good for you!

mommicakes Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:52am
post #4 of 7

good for you for not backing down. I totally understand the whole second guessing thing. stay strong. icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:57am
post #5 of 7

I can totally relate. I remember the time I hit that same milestone and it felt great!

angelatx Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:20am
post #6 of 7

Great job Marina! and you for sure did right by not lowering your price. your work is beautiful. icon_biggrin.gif

Ruth0209 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:35am
post #7 of 7

Good for you!!! On the same note, when I delivered a cake this weekend to a woman I work for, she gave me a $25 tip and said, "For heavens sake, start charging people what your cakes are worth, would ya'?" I thanked her profusely for that vote of confidence (and for her generosity). I'm taking her at her word. Those kinds of comments always give me the confidence I need to hold firm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%