Twice Baked Cake

Decorating By mrsjax Updated 14 Nov 2008 , 1:36am by just_for_fun

mrsjax Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 4

I thought I would share my disaster in case it happens to anyone else.

I was making a baby shower cake for a good friend. I made a half sheet, iced it and had it half decorated as a quilt and had planned on making the 3-d teddy bear to put on top.

I dropped my son (sticky fingers) off and my mom and ran home, turned on the oven to preheat for the bear and started making more frosting. After about 10 minutes, I realized that smoke was pouring out of the oven. I had forgotten that I left the cake (on my wooden cutting board) in the oven so my son wouldn't get into it.

I called my cake teacher, who told me she wasn't sure and she had never had anyone do that before. (You'd be surprised how often I hear that. icon_smile.gif After much debate, I just finished decorating it since I didn't have the time or desire to start again, but I was worried about how it would taste.

In the end, it was very yummy and a big hit! I hope this helps anyone else who is a scatter brain like me!

3 replies
kandu001 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:37am
post #2 of 4

I'm glad it worked out so well for you! I am definitely scatter brained. I did that to MY wedding cake. On my one year anniversary (a couple of months ago) we took the top teir out of the freezer, each had a tiny bite after it had defrosted because it was really late. I put it in my turned off oven so my puppy wouldn't get to it. Then next day I forgot it was in there and went to preheat the oven for dinner. I started smelling a really yummy chocolatey smell about 10-15 minutes later. It still hadn't hit me until I opened the oven to see what was going on. There was my lovely cake all melted and in a puddle on the bottom of my oven! I was soooo upset. Then when it dried and cooled off I spent hours trying to scrape it off the bottom and was unsuccessful. My dad had to come over and help. I have since learned my lesson!

hallow3 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:39am
post #3 of 4

Sorry to hear this happened to you. But I am glad it turned out great for you. I turned on the oven once and forgot that I had my crock pot in there hiding when we had a realtor come over with clients. Smoke filled the whole house and melted my plastic lid. I now double check the oven before I even turn it on now.

just_for_fun Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 1:36am
post #4 of 4

Some ppl here on CC say they put a sticky note on the knob of the oven if they put something in there, so they remember when they turn on the oven.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%