Icing A Heart Cake

Decorating By Sweetlepea Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 5:13pm by Sweetlepea

Sweetlepea Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 13

Hi everyone! I've been asked to do a wedding cake for my sister in laws cousin.. Its due on the 22nd.. I know, short notice!! But she wants a 3 stacked heart cake.. Iced in BC. I have no idea how to ice a heart.. I'm embarassed to say.. icon_rolleyes.gif I did a search and it didnt bring anything up, so I'm hoping someone can lead me in the right direction, or maybe has a tutorial.. I'd like it more if she wanted fondant, but I dont know how to fondant a heart either!! Ack.. Maybe I'm in over my head.. But I'd really like to do this for her, and give her a beautiful cake.. So any tips or info anyone can give would be sooooo much appreciated!! Thank you!!

12 replies
Sweetlepea Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 13

Noone can help me? icon_sad.gif

Malakin Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:03am
post #3 of 13

I have bought heart pans a year ago and no one has even wanted one yet. But, I did practice and it wasn't too much different from icing a square on the tip and then I just kept the blade away from the cake and made an indentation at the top. I don't know of a tuturial but someone may have one.

Malakin Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:03am
post #4 of 13

I have bought heart pans a year ago and no one has even wanted one yet. But, I did practice and it wasn't too much different from icing a square on the tip and then I just kept the blade away from the cake and made an indentation at the top. I don't know of a tuturial but someone may have one.

kandu001 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:05am
post #5 of 13

I've iced heart cakes, but decorated the outside in a way that I didn't need it to be smooth. I think that to make it smooth, I would start at either the point at the bottom, or the bend in the top and do each side like that. Good Luck!

ranbel Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:24am
post #6 of 13

Good question sweetlepea, I would like to know also. I have one to do soon for my niece's wedding. I also, would like to give her a beautifully smooth cake. icon_smile.gif

Chippi Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:43am
post #7 of 13

Sweetpea are you using BC? I have one I did last weekend it in my profile. I used BC and I iced the sides first way up over the edge like icebergs sticking out and then piled it on top and iced the top then to the icebergs off moving in toward the cake. Then I used the paper towel method on top then the sides then the top again. Hope this helps lemme know if you need anymore help icon_smile.gif

Chippi Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:50am
post #8 of 13

Here is a tutorial on icing a heart cake icon_smile.gif Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6r8MYHYz00&feature=related

Katie-Bug Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:03am
post #9 of 13

I am no pro at getting super smooth frosting like some, but I didn't find it to hard.

I used a all Crisco based buttercream, crusted really good, and then I just used a hot knife. It actually smoothed really well.

I started at the curve and worked around one side to the point and then did the same thing on the other side. The cake had a border going up the seem, at the pointed end, so you couldn't see the small seam.

Do have a photo of the cake she wants?
Good Luck!!! - Keep us posted!!

Sweetlepea Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:00am
post #10 of 13

Yep I do! SHe said she wants this cake, but it needs to feed a 100 people.. so I'm thinking I'm going to have to make an extra one to serve to guests.. This one is covered in fondant, but she wants BC.. So yeah.
OH YEAH!! ONE MORE QUESTION... icon_rolleyes.gif Can I buy the seperater plates for the.. AHH what is it, its on the tip of my tongue!! Ya know, where you use the plastic cake boards instead of the cardboard qand wooden dowels to stabalize and stack? icon_smile.gif Can I buy those heart shaped?
LL

leah_s Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:32am
post #11 of 13

If you're talking about SPS then yes the plates come in heart shaped. Oasis Supply carries them.

Katie-Bug Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:40pm
post #12 of 13

As long as you have a good crusting recipe or one that you can use a hot knife on, it should 't be any problem!

Pretty cake, by the way!! An if you have a spot where you just can't get it smooth, just make the drape cover it.. icon_razz.gif I know I am awful aren't I?

Good Luck, I am sure it will turn out great!! thumbs_up.gif

Sweetlepea Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:13pm
post #13 of 13

icon_biggrin.gif Thank you everyone so much for your help!! I feel much more confidant making this cake now. I'll be sure to post a picture of it finished!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%