Deorating An Italian Cream Cake

Decorating By angiev77 Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 2:46pm by eatdessert1st

angiev77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angiev77 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 5

I am making an Italian Cream Cake with cream cheese icing for an event at my work. Does anyone have any suggestions for dressing it up without writing on it? It is just so plain with white cream cheese frosting but I don't know what to do to make it look more elegant. Any suggestions would be appreicated!!!!

4 replies
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 5

Shaved chocolate or dusted with cocoa powder (you can place a doily on top and then dust and remove carefully)

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 5

Maybe some sugared grapes both red and green and some gumpaste leaves???

PPattyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PPattyCakes Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:24am
post #4 of 5

I don't know if there are different Italian Cream Cake recipes out there. The one I use has cream cheese frosting with nuts. To dress up my cake, I pipe a reverse shell border (cream cheeese icing) around the top (no nuts), and make about 3 cream cheese roses with dark green leaves and put them directly in the center of the cake. I also put a border around the bottom layer. The borders and roses are done with regular cream cheese icing with no color. I add enough confec. sugar to stiffen it enough to hold the shape. It looks nice!

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 5

I like the idea of sugared grapes and other small fruits (like kumquats, ladyapples, etc.) Since it's iced in cream cheese icing you have a nice blank canvas. Choc. shavings would be elegant and simple.
Earlene has several gorgeous cakes here:
I love the basket one. It looks like it'd be fun to do.
http://earlenescakes.com/Marzipan.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%