How Do I Make Individual Party Hat Cakes

Decorating By REDNSASSY Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 3:04am by terri76

REDNSASSY Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 17

I am looking for any ideas, on how to make individual birthday party hat cakes for guests to take home. Would appreciate any ideas.

16 replies
kakeladi Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 17

You actually want them to be made out of cake? Not a fondant hat on a cake?
About the only thing I can think of is to use graduated round cutters and stack the cakes or cookies....probably topping it (for the point) w/a mini marshmallow. It's going to be a lot of work. Hope you edon't have to make 50 of themicon_smile.gif

REDNSASSY Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 17

Actually, I need 55 icon_sad.gif

kakeladi Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 17

Give yourself time. These will take longer than you think. I suggest baking round cookies in graduated size then cover w/fondant.

terrylee Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 7:27pm
post #5 of 17

What about doing flat cookies in the shape of party hats....or you could do a cookies on a stick....wrap in celo bags, makes a great favor.

Meemawfish Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 17

You could always do cupcakes and put a sugar cone on top but upside down to look like a party hat. Just decorate the sugar cone with pretty colors and you would have something they all could take home and enjoy. icon_lol.gif HTH

edited because I can't type today. icon_cry.gif

kakeladi Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 7:40pm
post #7 of 17

.......cupcakes and put a sugar cone on top........

Yahicon_smile.gif Stuff the cone w/cake OR choco mixed w/RCT or nuts or dried fruit etc.

CakesByBabycakes Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 7:53pm
post #8 of 17

How about using the Mini Wonder Mold pan from Wilton?
Mini Wonder Mold #2105-3020
I have used it to make the mini-dolls and for Santa Hats that are in my pictures.
Good Luck!

Rebelady Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 8:03pm
post #9 of 17

I think the easiest thing to do would be the mini wonder mold pan. You can bake four cakes at a time and they are just about the shape for a party hat. I would make little tips for the hats out of RKTs and then you can use buttercream or fondant. You could even make the little "pouf" on top using a grass tip!! I hope this helps!! Good Luck!!!

nanikins Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 8:10pm
post #10 of 17

Here's a link using the mini wonder mold to make a party hat, as has been suggested.

55!?! Whew. Be sure to post a pic for us when you're done and good luck.

PinkZiab Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 8:13pm
post #11 of 17

If this is for a client, I hope you're charging about $30 each for them.

CakesByBabycakes Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 8:15pm
post #12 of 17

Why 30 dollars each?

kellymarie Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 8:20pm
post #13 of 17

The first Confetti cakes book has mini party hat cakes in it.

I'll try to scan it. She stacks circles, but i also think a mini wonder mold would work!

Crap! it was too big icon_smile.gif Sorry!

SCS Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 8:23pm
post #14 of 17

I did individual mini mad hatter, hat cakes for a friend (in photos), and used 2" mini round cake pans. You can buy them from Global Sugar Art (here's the link

dragonflydreams Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 8:30pm
post #15 of 17

. . . another option . . . if your client doesn't want to pay for the "big idea" . . .

and then you could make the hats out of gumpaste/fondant or candy clay after this design . . .

. . . still cute . . . not nearly as labor intensive . . .

PinkZiab Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:36am
post #16 of 17

because individual cakes are more time-consuming and labor-intensive to decorate. Those 55 individual cake will take more time and effort than a 6 tier wedding cake and if you don't charge enough you will hate yourself when it's done. I don't know anyone that charges less than $20 for a single-tier individual decorated cake. Most are in the $25-35 range for individual tiered wedding style cakes. Something like a party hat that might involve carving or shaping would definitely be up there with those.

terri76 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 3:04am
post #17 of 17

You should get the book Cake Expressions by Dottie Smith. I found it at Books A Million. In her book she has the cutest party cake hats!

Good Luck and I can't wait to see pictures!

Quote by @%username% on %date%