Nobody Liked The Smbc

Decorating By -Tubbs Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 9:32pm by -Tubbs

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 4

I made a cute two tier first birthday cake for my friend's little boy. It was a surprise - a birthday gift for him and an opportunity to practise for me (not in my pictures yet - I haven't figured out my new camera). My friends were so pleased they insisted I take my family around to their house to share the cake at a little party for him.

I've recently been experimenting with SMBC, and I love the flavour and texture. It went on really well, covered all the chocolate cake etc etc.

All good except that the cake was served directly from the fridge and nobody ate the icing at all, not even the grown-ups. Is SMBC meant to be served at room temperature?

I was a bit embarassed because they made such a fuss about this great cake, but the taste didn't match....

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 4

Yes, it's much better at room temp. Col from the fridge it tastes like butter.

And really, unless your cake has a perishable filling there is NO reason to ever put a cake in the fridge. All it does is dry them out. It's a relative humidity thing.

Pastry-Panda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastry-Panda Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 4

yeah I don't serve SMBC cold.

You want it to be nice soft and glossy. It's no good when you have to chew through the SMBC because the butter has firmed up too much.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for your replies - I thought as much, and this morning tasted the slice we brought home for my husband (who, last night, wasn't in the mood for cake - can you imagine??? icon_confused.gif ). It tasted great.

I knew I should have told them to take it out of the fridge earlier - or told them not to put it in at all. I guess I got confused because I knew I had to refrigerate it to put on the top coat. I just presumed that was they best way to store it.

We live and learn....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%