Ever Make A Cake You Know Is Going To Be Ugly????

Decorating By robinscakes Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 1:43am by PinkZiab

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 10

I made the ugliest cake I ever made yesterday! No, I don't have a photo, but imagine this: A customer ordered a carved sheet cake in the shape of Tweety Bird. She wanted Tweety to be light blue! Okay, whatever, the customer is always right. Well, I made it and it looked awful! I think the construction was fine, but the Tweety in light blue was horrendous! My boss's wife looked at it and said, "Oh my gosh, Tweety looks plucked and cold!!!" I had to laugh, he really did look like a frostbitten Tweety!

Anyone ever grant a customer's request, knowing all the while that the cake would look awful???

9 replies
mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 10

the only ones that really turn out like that for me are some that my kids draw up. hey, it's their artistic creations, i just have to build it. icon_redface.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 10

Yes. I had a wedding cake on saturday that was BUTT-UGLY. Their design, a 10-8-4 (yes, they were too CHEAP to pay for a 6" instead of a 4" to make it proportional.

Ugh

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 10

Anything with faces will be ugly when I'm finished. I cannot seem to perfect the face on any Disney princess, Tinkerbell, pirates, etc.

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 10

To make this short, I love to watch American Chopper (the OCC guys make custom built bikes) One episode they made an "My Name is Earl" bike according to the producers request to be auctioned off for a charity. Senior hated everything about it, design, color, gas tank shape etc. He wanted to change it so it would raise more money. Then he got word that no matter what - the producer himself was gonna bid the highest to win a bike that "he designed". Moral of the story: It's not what WE want, but rather what the customer wants. Sad, I know. Sometimes it pains me to something I know is ugly. Not short after all. LOL

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 8:39pm
post #6 of 10

Oh my gosh, what's in the water this past week????! I had a person contact me who knows of this site. She said she looked through every single princess cake here (65+ pages!!) and LOVED the (IMO) ugliest castle cake I have ever seen!!!

Needless to say, I made the cake almost exactly as it was pictured and crossed my fingers when she came to pick it up. I thought for sure she would hate it as much as I did. Nope, she did, in fact LOVE it even more in person! She even called me today to say what a huge hit it was at the party and that other guests asked for my number. It's in the eye of the beholder, I guess, but that pic is NOT going in my portfolio!! LOL

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 8:43pm
post #7 of 10

forgot to mention:

Jammjenks: I couldn't agree more! I will do anything to avoid making faces!

Kim040508 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim040508 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 9:15pm
post #8 of 10

I made a wedding cake for a very young couple. She had bought silk flowers to scatter on each cake. It wasn't the silk flowers that made it ugly it was the color combo that she picked out. Hot pink, orange, pale yellow, baby blue and bright purple. Yuck! I guess, different people like different things. icon_lol.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 11:35pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim040508

I made a wedding cake for a very young couple. She had bought silk flowers to scatter on each cake. It wasn't the silk flowers that made it ugly it was the color combo that she picked out. Hot pink, orange, pale yellow, baby blue and bright purple. Yuck! I guess, different people like different things. icon_lol.gif

Whoa! What was the mom thinking? Letting that girl pick out that color scheme! Insane!!!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:43am
post #10 of 10

Nope... if a cake comes out ugly it's because I didn't do my job right. In the end my name is going out there and if a customer requests something that I just don't feel would wind up being attractive or downright ugly, then I pass on the job. Call it "artistic differences" lol I aim to make my customers happy, but never in such a way that will compromise my vision and reputation. I haven't had to do this often, thankfully, as my customers are usually willing to trust me or we are willing to work together to make their vision and mine meet in the middle, but I can think of two times in particular where I just had to say "No, I'm sorry, that's not something I'm willing to do."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%