Need Cake Pan Advice!

Decorating By daniassis Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 4:17pm by leah_s

daniassis Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 12

Hi, everyone

I've recently started decorating cakes as a hobby and I need your help. I need to buy cake pans (right now I only have a 9" round), but I have no idea which brands are good. Could you guys give me some suggestions? Where do you buy your pans? Thank you sooooo much! icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
emrldsky Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 12

The two I would recommend are Fat Daddios or Magic Line. Some here are all for Magic Line, but I love my Fat Daddios pans. icon_smile.gif

mommicakes Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:59pm
post #3 of 12

My vote is for Magic Line. I only have a few, but am starting to replace the others.

UltimateCakes Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 12

So far I've had no problems buy Wilton pans from WalMart, Joann's or my local cake supply store.

Juds2323 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 12

I really like my magic line even though they don't say it on their website countykitchensa . com has great prices on them. My local cake shop charged more than double for the same pans.

OhioBaker Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 12

I use Wilton pans that I purchased from Hobby Lobby. I haven't had any issues with them. Many times Hobby Lobby will have a 40% off coupon that you can use to purchase them. icon_lol.gif

I also use the homemade pan release and my cakes come out perfect every time. I've yet to have one stick. thumbs_up.gif

abruntz Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:21pm
post #7 of 12

I have never tried magic line but I love love love fat daddios they dont rust and they clean up so easy. My cakes always bake so very well in them. I also love the fact that they are a thicker metal than the other pans. With my kids I know they wont dent etc.

dabear Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 12

I really like my magic line. I just bought a round a squares of fat daddio's. I like the round. The squares do not have straight edges. the corners are rounded. I hate the squares.

Mencked Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:30pm
post #9 of 12

I have an abundant collection of Wilton pans and they work fine, but I've got some Magic Line and Fat Daddio's as well and really love them. I prefer Magic Line and will eventually replace my Wilton pans with those as money permits! If you're just starting out and can get anything I'd definitely go for ML or FD--that way you won't have to replace them like me!!! Although I take some comfort in knowing that I purchased all of those Wilton pans with 40% off coupons at Hobby Lobby icon_smile.gif. I've also found that using parchment paper or waxed paper to line my larger pans is such a great way to prevent cake sticking frustrations!!!! Only took me 4 yrs. to figure that one out icon_smile.gif!

daniassis Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:39pm
post #10 of 12

Oh my God, guys!

You are so great! I really, really appreciate all the posts icon_biggrin.gif

lindambc Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:44pm
post #11 of 12

All my round pans are from Wilton and my square pans are Fat Daddios. Never had issues with either but for nice square and corners love the Fat Daddios.

leah_s Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:17pm
post #12 of 12

You will never regret buying great equipment.

Magic Line is pretty much the "gold standard" meaning the best. Fat Daddios' square pans have totally rounded corners. They also require special baking temps according to the owner of the company. No higher than 300 degrees. So, if you have mixed brands, you'll need to make sure that they go in ovens set to different temps.

There was quite a brouhaha here a few months ago over this. Much drama indeed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%