What Do You Think?

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 4:14pm by CakesByJen2

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 4

I'm tossing around a few ideas for a cake I'm making. It's got chocolate w/chocolate filling pirouette cookies around the sides of it, will be devil's food cake, and will have chocolate leaves on top. Now my problem is that I can't decide if my frosting should be regular BC, chocolate BC, or ganache. Any ideas? Also.... I asked this before but no one seems to be replying - I want to make my cake 3" tall because I want to cut the pirouettes in half so I don't have to buy another can. Do you think this would look strange? Thanks!

3 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 4

my cents...
I would not go with ganache. Lots of chocolate going on, really rich already. I love chocolate BC, so it becomes a "death by chocolate" if you go that way. But regular BC is ok too, especially if you are trying to avoid chocolate overload (a disease others may have, but not me--- no such thing as too much chocolate in my book...lol)
Rita

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 4

opps- on the pirouettes , cut is fine- cute even, I think. You just lose some of the dramatic look of it....

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 4

Actually, I would go with ganache if it were for me. I don't believe there's ever any such thing as too much chocolate! Though it could be too much for some people, but they can just take a smaller slice. The thing the concerns me with buttercream, is depending on the type of buttercream, the cookies may not stick to the sides very well. If you're using a regular American BC with powdered sugar, that usually has a drier, not very "sticky" texture and the cookies may start to fall off as the icing dries out. The cookies would stick really well with the ganache. But I am biased; I think ganache is the most wonderful thing on the face of the earth icon_biggrin.gif You can glaze or fill a cake with it, whip it to frost or fill a cake, make truffles with it, use it for fondue.... thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%