Help Wih Portions And Cake Sizes.

Decorating By LaDulceria Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 1:27am by Starlitpink

LaDulceria Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 9:44am
post #1 of 8

I´ve got asked to do a christening cake for 50 people more or less, and i´m not sure how big the cake should it be to get that many portions (so far i haven´t to do so big).
The biggest tin i can have at the moment is a 12" round tin. I have a 10"/8"/6", as well a 10" square one.
The cake is goign to be vanilla sponge with satrwberry jam filling.
Which size should i use to get 50 portions?
Thanks in advance for your help.

7 replies
kimmypooh79 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:07am
post #2 of 8

The 10/8/6 rounds would be the best and would give you a few extra at about 53 total party servings or a 12/6 would give you the same. The next thing would be a 12/8 at 60 servings. HTH

bashini Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:20am
post #3 of 8

Hi, I use Lindy Smith's serving guid. According to that, From a 12" round cake you can get 50 peices. Or you can use 10"/7" round which gives you 52 pieces.

Here is a link for cake portions from cake magic.

http://www.cakemagic.co.uk/html/cake_portions.html

HTH.

LaDulceria Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:25am
post #4 of 8

thanks! i think i´ll go ahead with the 12"/6" option.
It´s going to be the first time i have to stacked a cake, so..i think 2 tiers will be "brave" enoguh to start....
i hope i don´t ruin the whole cake...wish my good luck!

LaDulceria Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:30am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Hi, I use Lindy Smith's serving guid. According to that, From a 12" round cake you can get 50 peices. Or you can use 10"/7" round which gives you 52 pieces.

Here is a link for cake portions from cake magic.

http://www.cakemagic.co.uk/html/cake_portions.html

HTH.

hey bashini! thanks for the link...that looks pretty good to me to.
i always have trouble with portion sizes...i keep thinking hey are too small and that i would need more cake

kimmypooh79 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 8

You don't need luck....you'll be fine!!!

bashini Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:11pm
post #7 of 8

You are welcome Irelandcakes. Hope all goes well for you! thumbs_up.gif

Starlitpink Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:27am
post #8 of 8

I am sure I am not the only one with this problem. I price my cakes at 1.00 per slice for "plain" cake. Sculpted and more elaborate cakes are priced per job. I try to expain the size chart (Wilton's) and even email them the site. Still yet, people expect to get a huge cake. I am not sure what else to do to help explain that cake slices shouldn't be a meal for those eating them. Any suggestions?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%