To Soften Fondant: Microwave Or Add Crisco?

Decorating By margaretb Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 6:38pm by margaretb

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 8:38am
post #1 of 4

I made some figures from fondant which I made following the recipe from the wilton yearbooks. It was nice and soft when I finished mixing it, but it was pretty hard by the time I needed it the next day. I softened it by adding a lot of crisco. That worked okay, but it ended up very shiny. Should I be microwaving it instead? What if I use the Michele Foster fondant recipe? I've also used that, but not for making figures (I had to use the wilton recipe because of a milk allergy, but I want to use the MFF recipe for some animals I am doing this weekend).

Margaret

3 replies
noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 8:52am
post #2 of 4

I usally put my fondant in the microwave for no more than 10sec to soften up my fondant.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 4

My fondant recipe works great for molding figures. If you have warm hand, house, or location, then you might want to work with 50% fondant and 50% gumpaste. This gives you more working time and the figures will dry more quickly. They are also less likely to lose their shape while drying if things are warm.

It doesn't hurt to nuke fondant if done for a short time on a very low setting. Be very careful when starting to knead. The center can become lava like. OUCH!

The recipe can also be made without any dairy products at all and still taste good. I often use water and shortening when I am making fondant for covering dummies.

HTH

Michele

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks Michele -- I will definitely try your recipe for the animals.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%