Problem With Drying Gumpaste/fondant On Parchment!?!?

Decorating By skatesusy Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 3:23pm by skatesusy

skatesusy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skatesusy Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:48am
post #1 of 6

I love parchment paper and find it very useful. However, I have a problem when I put pieces of 50/50 (gumpaste/fondant) on parchment to dry. I get ripple marks on my pieces. I know it would be best just to use a lot of cornstarch on my surface and on the surface where the piece dries. But if I am using chocolate or a dark colour, I really don't want so much cornstarch as it is hard to get rid of. Also, when I need to cut big pieces, it is easier to roll out my gumpaste/fondant and place it on the parchment paper and cut what I need and move the parchment paper (with the cutout piece) onto a cookie sheet to dry. But the ripples are making me crazy and I don't know how to get around it. Can anyone help????

Thank you
Susy
skatesusy

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:37am
post #2 of 6

As far as I know cornstarch is your only option. The parchment is absorbing the moisture in the gp.
Have you tried plastic wrap? That might work......except it will take longer to dry.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:49am
post #3 of 6

Use fun foam (also known as craft foam). It is not airtight like plastic wrap, wax paper, or plastic wrap. Plus it's 'cushy' so there are no wrinkles.

skatesusy Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 12:21pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you for your suggestions!! Cakepro - Do you mean foam core??

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 6

No, not foamcore, it would take forever to dry on the paper coating of that stuff.

Fun Foam is the sheet foam that they use to make visors and other things. You can buy it buy the sheet or in packs. Try to get white or light tan, as the other colors can bleed onto white gumpaste or fondant.

Rae

skatesusy Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 6

So sorry for being dense!!!!!!!!!! When you refer to making visors - I get it now. We have a Michael's in a nearby town, so I will go and get some. Thanks again!!
Susy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%