Practice/test Cakes

Decorating By enoid Updated 15 Nov 2008 , 12:30pm by Sweet_Guys

enoid Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:50am
post #1 of 17

Hi, I'm new to decorating cakes. I was wondering what any of you do with your practice/test cakes? It is only my husband and me so eating a whole cake is not practical or healthy. I have take some to work but there are only four in the office so that isn't much better. Just wondering.

16 replies
enoid Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:16am
post #2 of 17

Anyone?

ThanhThanh Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:34am
post #3 of 17

Just ice the sheet boards and decorate

jammjenks Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:38am
post #4 of 17

or you could purchase some styrofoam dummies to practice on.

enoid Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 17

Thanks for the suggestions!

mommicakes Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 17

Sometimes I just flip over my pans and use them to fondant cover and then put design things on them.

havingfun Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 12:03am
post #7 of 17

I have donated my practice cakes to the homeless shelter to serve at the free lunch. (Sponsored by our Allied Churches ) They really are very appreciative of any amount of anything. Or, why not look into the women's shelter? There are always children that could use something special in their lives.

TC123 Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 12:42am
post #8 of 17

Hi ~ If you really don't want to spend all the time and money on baking a cake every time you want to decorate, I would say work on a styrofoam cake "dummy".

However, if you wish to keep on bakin', you can donate to your local post office. Or sometimes I'll put a note in my mail box for my mail carrier to come to the house, and I'll give her some to her. Or how about the attendants at the gas station that you frequent? When I bake, and know I'll have a lot left over, I often do this. icon_smile.gif

giraffe11 Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 12:51am
post #9 of 17

I can always donate cupcakes or cookies to the daycare where my son's go. Other than that, people are extremely suspect of unsolicited food donations where I live. So for larger cakes, I just bake it, decorate it, slice it and freeze as individual slices, wrapped very well and placed in a gallon size ziploc. This works great when we have last minute company stop by for dinner or when we just want "a little something". If I get too many in the freezer, I drop a bag off to my husband's bachelor brother or other friends around. I don't think anyone's gained any weight over it yet! icon_smile.gif
Heather

enoid Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 12:56am
post #10 of 17

All are really great suggestions. Thank you all for your help.

noyhoward Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 1:13am
post #11 of 17

For classes i've used dummies cake since I'm diabetic & my husband doesn't like to eat a lot of sweets.I don't see no point in wasting my time & money in baking a cake that no one will eat.

kokopuff Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 1:38am
post #12 of 17

This may sound stupid but I was just wondering where do you buy cake dummies?Are you just buying styrofoam pieces and putting them together or are you able to buy the whole thing from somewhere?

noyhoward Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 2:36am
post #13 of 17

Kokopuff,I got my from Dallas Foam.They are online but can't remember the address,it might be www.dallasfoam.com but not sure.I think that they are cheaper then other online companies that I found.

kokopuff Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 2:59am
post #14 of 17

thumbs_up.gif

kokopuff Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 3:00am
post #15 of 17

Thank you I will try to look that up! thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 3:19am
post #16 of 17

Agreed, buy styrofoam dummies and reuse them. Or flip the cake pan over and practice your piping on that. Or bake little 6 x 2 cakes and torte and fill them and practice your skills then bring them to the office. Or a bible study. Or a church. Or to that cute neighbor down the street... icon_wink.gif You can also tell the folks at work that you would be willing to do cakes for their birthdays just for the practice -- that will help your skills and get your name out. Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

Sweet_Guys Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 12:30pm
post #17 of 17

You can also take them to work and share with your colleagues. It's a great way to get future orders.

Paul (& Peter)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%