What Do You Do With The Bridal Show Lists?

Business By cakerygirl Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 1:07am by cakerygirl

cakerygirl Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:10am
post #1 of 17

After every bridal show they give me a list of all the brides in attendance and their contact info. I was just wondering if anyone has ideas of what to do with this information? I dont want to come across like I am pestering these people but was wondering if there was a way to make use of this information in a way that encourages the brides to book with me but isn't overly pushy. Any thoughts? I have thought about mailing out a letter congratulating them and offering a discount per serving if they book before a specified date but I am not sure if it would be worth the costs to do this.

16 replies
snarkybaker Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:28am
post #2 of 17

I send them an email or note thanking them for visiting our booth and inviting them to a tasting, usually with a lik to an article written about us or something like that.

indydebi Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:06am
post #3 of 17

ok, first get over the "I don't want to be pushy" thing. If you are in bridal shows and if you are exchanging cake for money, then you are in sales ... and when you are in sales, you talk to people and you scout for the sale and you invite in the sale, and you ask for the sale. It's called "sales".

Like txkat, I send a simple "I hope you had a chance to visit our booth at the blah blah blah bridal show last week. Our calendar is filling up quickly, so once you've had a chance to look over the literature and our website, give us a call to schedule your no-obligation sampling appt."

(Something I learned in my years of corporate sales .... assume it's a dun-deal without being arrogant about it. In the above wording, I am assuming they will be calling to schedule the appt. I don't ask them if they WANT to schedule ... I assume they WILL want to and I flat out invite them to call me.)

If I KNOW I spoke with the bride, I alter the email to make it a bit more personable (which is why I ask them for their email info when they are there, even tho' I know I'll get the list later ... so I know who I spoke with).

cakerygirl Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:15am
post #4 of 17

You have a good point. The list I just received has no email addresses - just phone numbers and snail mail. I was trying to decide if phoning them would be too annoying and whether snail mailing would be cost effective. There were about 120 brides at the recent show. My big show is in January and thankfully they do give email addresses. We didn't really get a chance to talk to any of the brides at this show. It was kind of like sending them down a funnel and as they streamed by grabbing cupcakes and cream puffs we handed them our new brochure. It was kind of wild. After the mad rush they were holding the door prizes and we didn't see a bride near us for an hour and a half. LOL. The January one is much better in that regard. We have a lot more time to talk.

indydebi Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:19am
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakerygirl

You have a good point. The list I just received has no email addresses - just phone numbers and snail mail.

icon_surprised.gif Oh brother!! What kind of show organizer, in this day and age of electronic EVERYTHING, doesn't ask them to list their email address!!??? I'd be sure to give the show organizers this feedback so they can do it right next time!

cakerygirl Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:23am
post #6 of 17

I will make sure to mention it!! I already mentioned the wanting more time for the brides to browse the booths and less time for the door prizes!!

leah_s Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:17am
post #7 of 17

If I have emails, I add them to my Constant Connect database and email them my Newsletters. Of course the Newsletters are geared toward the things I do.

If I only have snail mail, they'll get a postcard. Less postage.

cakerygirl Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:40am
post #8 of 17

Unfortuneately in Canada it is 52 cents postage per item weather postcard or letter and that doesn't include the cost of the cards. I guess I will have to calculate what everything will cost and think about what the costs will be and if I feel it will be worth it. I shy away from the phone mostly because I know what I feel like when I get unsolicited phone calls.

leah_s Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:21am
post #9 of 17

I should have said Constant Contact. I prepay by the year for a 500 name database, and I can send up to 4 email Newsletters (to all 500) a month. Because I prepay, it's about $12 a month.

marmalade1687 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:50pm
post #10 of 17

Be careful with phone calls now - you will be deemed a "tele-marketer" if you don't have the bride's permission to call (remember the new Do-Not-Call lists??) and you could be charged. I just got a notice with a bridal show info kit stating that they will collect signatures for vendors and let us know which ones we are allowed to call!!

mommicakes Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:39pm
post #11 of 17

Indydebi, what a nice way of getting the point across. I will have to remember that for January's show. You always have the right words to say. Thanks so much!!! icon_biggrin.gif

cakerygirl Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 12:20am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade1687

Be careful with phone calls now - you will be deemed a "tele-marketer" if you don't have the bride's permission to call (remember the new Do-Not-Call lists??) and you could be charged. I just got a notice with a bridal show info kit stating that they will collect signatures for vendors and let us know which ones we are allowed to call!!

Thanks for the heads up on that. I wasn't really comfortable with he idea of phoning people for that very reason. I guess snail mail will be better. The email letter will be good once I get my list after the January show.

indydebi Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 12:53am
post #13 of 17

If the registration form says something to the effect of "by listing my address, phone and email, I am requesting information be sent to me from this show and it's vendors", then you are responding to their request to call/contact them, and that makes you NOT a telemarketer. (Lessons from my SHORT stint in insurance sales!).

cakerygirl Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:00am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

If the registration form says something to the effect of "by listing my address, phone and email, I am requesting information be sent to me from this show and it's vendors", then you are responding to their request to call/contact them, and that makes you NOT a telemarketer. (Lessons from my SHORT stint in insurance sales!).

Interesting. I will have to look into that. We have a new national do not call list in Canada that is implemented by our federal government so I will check the details but it does seem to me that the clause mentioned above basically gives permission to call.

indydebi Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:03am
post #15 of 17

cakerygirl, INdiana has a no-call list, too, and I was calling one lady to make an insurance appt. She told me, "I'm on the no-call list!" I said, "And if I was a telemarketer, that would apply to me, ma'am, but I'm responding to a card you filled out where you asked us to call you about this insurance program. I can be there Tuesday or Thursday night to give you the information you requested ... which one works best for you?" icon_twisted.gif

lauritasolorzano Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:07am
post #16 of 17

I tried once sending e-mails to the entire list of atendees, but nobody really responded. What I'm doing right now is giving them a call and inviting them to a sampling appointment. That is something that has worked for me.

Laura
= )

cakerygirl Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:07am
post #17 of 17

You have a wonderful way with words Indydebi!! Thank you for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%