Ideas,opinion Needed..christmas Or Winter Basket Of Cookies?

Baking By sweetcravings Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 5:30pm by sweetcravings

sweetcravings Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 10

I am planning to donate a very large cookie order to my husbands christmas shop party. They usually have gifts laying out on the tables and each employee gets ten tickets to put in whichever gift bag they want. They usually have some wonderful gift certificates on that table. So this year i thought i would approach them and see if i can donate a genereous cookie order and see if it generates any interest from the employees. I figure it's a good way to get the word out that i make cookies and hopefully bring in some christmas orders. The party is the first week of december and i'm wondering if i should stick to christmas decorated cookies or winter themed cookies ie..snowmen, snowflakes etc..? Should i make them in a cookie bouquet form, or just individually bagged in a basket of some sort? I want to have an impressive display of my cookies which do you think is best? How many should i put in there? My DH seems to think bouquet since they will be able to clearly see all the cookies. Then i was reading about the 'cookie trees' made on wire frames..do you think that would be better?
If anyone has any pictures of xlarge cookie arrangement i'd love to see how you placed them in the basket. I'm also kinda undecided about what groupings and colors i should go with..any help and inspiration appreciated here. Anyone?

Part of me is terrified that the gift bag in front of my cookies would only have a few tickets placed in it..it's happened before with other gifts. I've always wondered what the response would be to my cookies and this would be an interesting way to see how many people would want it. There is usually 300+ppl at the party. I was thinking of putting a card by them saying..for more information on the cookies call...but my DH thinks i shouldn't do that as it's advertising and it is a party..He thinks a simple sign saying donated by... would be sufficient. Ppl know him and they can approach him if they want my number. I dunno.

9 replies
SILVERCAT Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 12:40am
post #2 of 10

I would do a winter theme, it puts the word out that you do different things! Could you do a small bouquet and a small platter with different cookies on it? Donated by....is great! Good Luck

sicookie Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 12:43am
post #3 of 10

I think a winter theme would be more appropriate, but I do have to tell you that I don't really know how much business you'll get from this. I just did a large cookie basket for a charity event to be raffled off. I felt like it was a little bit of a waste of my efforts because my bouquet could never compete with winning an Ipod! That said, I got only one inquiry asking if I would ship a bouquet, but no order. Over the summer I donated cookies that were to be set up with refreshments hoping to drum up some business. I didn't get any calls from that either. I don't mean to discourage you, but I don't think that people are looking for cookies at these events--I think they are looking to score the restaurant gift certificate. You might be better off donating favors for goodie bags where the guest takes the cookie home and get a chance to enjoy it at home. Any business I've gotten was from somebody who received my decorated cookies as a party favor.

GeminiRJ Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 12:53pm
post #4 of 10

Cookie bouquets have a certain eye appeal that is hard to beat! Fewer people have seen them. Can you do a small bouquet that has both Christmas and winter theme (snowflakes, ornaments, Christmas stocking, etc...) and then offer a gift certificate to go with it? They'll get to see (and taste) what you can do, plus you'll have a way of getting them to come back.

SweetDreamsAT Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 10

sicookie pretty much described my experience when I donated 2 dozen cookies for a silent auction fund raiser. I felt that they were overshadowed by the more exciting items. But I really like her idea of donating favors. That way, each person gets their own little cookie experience - and it will have that kind of impact on each and every person there. Also, it seems like a winter theme vs. Christmas would be a safer bet - I'm doing some snowmen, penguins, and polar bears with winter hats and scarves for a corporate holiday party - other ideas I offered them were snowflakes, snowglobes, or snowy wintery trees. If you do decide to go with the raffle item, I think the cookie trees are beautiful, different, and would attract more attention. (I have yet to make one, but I've been seriously considering it for a holiday booth display) I wish you luck in your choice, and I can't wait to see what you come up with, so keep us posted.

sweetcravings Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 10

You guys give me some interesting points to think about..

sicookie...thanks for sharing your experience with this sort of thing. I was wondering the same thing about people wanting the larger certificates as opposed to my cookies. The only thing that makes me think that it might draw people is i havent seen anything like cookie bouquets sold around town, so it would be a fresh item to display. Michaels offers a cookie bouquet course, so maybe some at the party may have even taken the course but i've never seen that sort of thing in stores.

Gemini..i like the idea of the gift certificate. Perhaps i could do the donated cookies in the winter theme and then give a coupon for a dozen decorated christmas cookies to go with it. You are soo right..that would bring 'em back.

I thought of donating the cookies as favors for each and every plate but then i was concerned about the numbers...that's 300+plates most years. That's a huge donation/work..and if it doesn't generate business a huge waste of time and money. So i'm torn on that one.

sweetdreams...do you have any pictures of your cookies? Where did you find the cutters for the penguins and polar bears? I've been looking around and haven't found any. Are you doing your cookies in a bouquet for the event?

I would love to make a cookie tree some time soon as well. I'm heading to michaels today to see if i can find any frames for one. I want to stock up now since i couldn't find them in the summer time.

Thanks everyone.

Suzanne

SweetDreamsAT Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 10

ooooh, 300 cookies is a BIT much as a donation icon_eek.gif ! It looks like the raffle item would be the way to go. I don't have any pictures of the cookies I mentioned yet. I just got the drawings approved yesterday, so today I will make my cutters. I generally make all my cutters these days, but I'm sure there are some online if you have the time to wait for shipping.
I am making 300 cookies as party favors for their holiday dinner party - so they will be individually wrapped with a bow and my sticker on the back.
I looked at Michaels a few weeks ago for some tree frames. They didn't have any, and weren't sure if they were going to get any. I did find some online that come with or without lights.
I guess I didn't save the site I was thinking of, but here are a couple of others I had saved.
http://craftsnvines.com/_wsn/page4.html http://tmarco.com/trees.htm
I would love to hear if you find a good tree. In fact I think I will start a new thread asking everyone for a good source.
Hope you have a great day icon_smile.gif

GeminiRJ Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:12pm
post #8 of 10

A couple of thoughts....I have to believe that there will be people there who want to bid on items that won't empty their bank accounts. They're the ones who will be happy to bid on some beautiful cookies! Also, you don't have to have a shaped cutter to produce the designs you're after. I posted a polar bear cookie just this week that uses a simple round cutter. (It was quick to decorate, too!). Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and keep us posted. We'll want to see pictures, too!

SweetDreamsAT Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:26pm
post #9 of 10

Great point about the cutter GeminiRJ!! icon_smile.gif Especially since your round cookies are sooooooooo cute! Definitely check them out Suzanne!
I love this site icon_biggrin.gif

sweetcravings Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 5:30pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

A couple of thoughts....I have to believe that there will be people there who want to bid on items that won't empty their bank accounts. They're the ones who will be happy to bid on some beautiful cookies! Also, you don't have to have a shaped cutter to produce the designs you're after. I posted a polar bear cookie just this week that uses a simple round cutter. (It was quick to decorate, too!). Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and keep us posted. We'll want to see pictures, too!

The tickets they get..are free from the company. So they actually put no money out for whatever 'bag' they decide to put their given tickets into.
I did see your polar bear, round cookies..they are fabulous! I just got back from running all over town..Michaels..no tree frames. icon_sad.gif so i went to canadian tire thinking i would find them there..nope..peir one..nope.. icon_sad.gif So i checked out the websites provided in this thread and they clearly have what i'm looking for but i don't see anywhere where they say they will ship outside the US. Maybe i'll just stick to the basket idea.

I will definitely post pictures when done. I just have to make up my mind on the color scheme and cutters i want to use for now..at least i have a few weeks until the party.
Thanks everyone.
suzanne

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%