Help! Need Advice Please! I Have A Cookie Booth This Weekend

Baking By cookiegirl4 Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 2:13pm by mommicakes

cookiegirl4 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 11:49pm
post #1 of 10

At a local craft show, I have a space rented so that I can sell my homemade gourmet cookies.
I just started my business in September, so it's very new and this will be my first real advertising. It's a great opportunity for me to get the word
out and let people sample my cookies...hoping that this will result
in lots of orders!

I will be baking three out of my eight types of cookies that I offer.
I'll bake 4 dozen of each, and I'll sample those throughout the day.
I'll also be making up small packages to sell. The rest (I hope) will be orders.

Should I start baking tomorrow? I don't want to wait too long, but I want them to be fresh enough for Saturday.

Also, do you think they'll keep well and stay fresh if I put them all in tins?

Thanks so much for your advice! icon_smile.gif

icon_smile.gif

9 replies
JoAnnB Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 12:01am
post #2 of 10

Welcome to Cake Central. Most cookies will still be fresh tasting if you freeze them. If you start baking now, I would freeze to be certain of the best taste, although some cookies can't be easily frozen.

You may find at craft and hobby bazaars, point of sale is your best bet. You may find this group different, but most people will buy what they see rather than order from a virtual stranger. Even though they can taste your product, they don't know you and your business habits.

Order with payment: people may be hesitant to give you money first

Order now, pay later: you may have difficulty getting them to take the product and pay up.

deposits can also be a nuisance.

If you want to sell cookies, be prepared with as much product as you can reasonably sell (and prepare to take some home and re-freeze)

cookiegirl4 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 12:08am
post #3 of 10

You brought up some good points that I had not thought of.

It's better to have cookies to sell instead of just sampling?
So I need to bake a lot. Some for sampling, some for selling.

How in the world am I supposed to get customers if no one is willing to buy from a stranger? Don't we all buy from strangers if we go into a bakery and trust that what we're buying will be good if it looks good?

I can't bake all the cookies that I offer on my site, so I chose three, thinking this would be a good example of what I bake.

Hmmmmm.....thinking about the ordering process and what would be best to do.

SILVERCAT Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 12:36am
post #4 of 10

Bake and freeze! Good Luck

JoAnnB Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 7:15am
post #5 of 10

I had a booth at a Saturday Market that was fairly well attended. Lots of people will buy some of something they tasted, but rarely place an order. I did get a couple of regular customers who called me to order all kinds of 'special order' things. I have a commercial kitchen and can provide other food as needed.

I suggest you not sell cookies as singles, but in small bags of 3 or whatever seems right. One cookie will not make enough to cover your booth costs. you can also price them so they get a bit of a bargain, the more they buy.

GeminiRJ Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 12:47pm
post #6 of 10

Can you make mini's for the samples and sell the regular size cookies? I don't remember being to a craft fair where all you do is sample and then order if you wish to purchase. If you have little samples, people who aren't sure about ordering will get to taste first. If your cookies are eye-catching, I would think people will want to buy....not order!

cookiegirl4 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:58pm
post #7 of 10

Ok, since it sounds like the best way to go is bake for samples and for sale, I'll be baking like crazy over the next few days!
I'll have small packages of 3 and 6 of each sampled cookie.

What should I freeze the cookies in as I bake them?

(This is my first booth - I appreciate the advice)

~Thanks~
icon_smile.gif

liapsim Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:03pm
post #8 of 10

I have froze before in a ziploc freezer bag...make sure it's sealed tightly...someone may have a better idea, but it worked for me...they tasted great!

TASHA22284 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:11pm
post #9 of 10

For Christmas I bake for weeks, I freeze it all wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and then in ziploc freezer bags. The cookies always come out tasting like I just made them. What I can't fit in the freezer I put in the fridge, but not more then a couple days. I also put the fridge on the coldest setting possible. Hope this helps and good luck. I know we all hope the best for you and your new business!

mommicakes Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:13pm
post #10 of 10

put them in those new zipper bags and suck out the excess air with that vacum (sp) thing they sell with them now. This should keep them alright until you can package them for Saturday. Good luck. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%