Wasc Trouble... High Altitude??

Decorating By diane706 Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 4:14am by diane706

diane706 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Ladies and Gents-
This is my first post!! Yeah me! My name is Diane and I'm a CC addict. There- I've confessed. Now on to some important business... I have read so much about the WASC recipe that I just HAD to try it today for a cake decorating demonstration I'm doing this Wed. It tastes fabulous (almost like a sugar cookie??). Problem is, ALL my cakes sank to the point that I had to toss them. icon_cry.gif I'm curious if it could be the altitude (I live in Colorado- altitude is about 5000 ft). Does anybody out there in CC land know if there is an alternate recipe for high altitude? Typically I don't have to alter my box mixes (Yes... another confession. I operate inside the BOX icon_redface.gif ) Thanks- you guys are great. LOVE this place!

4 replies
mommapaul3 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 12:02am
post #2 of 5

I have the same exact problem with my WASC and it's been driving me crazy. I never considered the altitude (I'm at a high altitude too, but not as high as you). I've tried varying the oven temps and putting cores in all the cakes, but nothing has worked so far. I don't know how to alter a recipe for altitude, unfortunately. Sorry I can't be more help, but just know that you're not alone.

mommapaul3 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:48am
post #3 of 5

OK, so I went and did a little research and found this site that has some baking adjustments you can make for high altitude:
http://highaltitudebaking.com/adj_recipes.htm

kakeladi Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:09am
post #4 of 5

Interesting. Did you use my *original* recipe or one of the others? Even though I lived for 5 months at 8200 ft I didnt use the recipe because we didn't need that much cake. I just used a BC mix but needed to double the liquid called for.

diane706 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:14am
post #5 of 5

Kakeladi, I used the recipe by Rebecca Sutterby. (Sorry!!) How does your recipe differ? Thanks mommapaul3 for your research!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%