What Happens If I Stick My Fondant Covered Cake In The Fridg

Decorating By Lucy0618 Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 12:35am by MacsMom

Lucy0618 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 13

Anyone use this technique? I saw in a Cake Show program....that the girls airbrushed the cake and finished it....and said lets stick it in the fridge. Also alot of competions stick their fondant cakes in the fridge. Do you know why they do that? Doesn't the color run off the finished cakes when it's starts sweating? Any info would be truly appreciated.

Luz

12 replies
leah_s Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 13

There's no reason - other than a perishable filling - to EVER put a cake in the fridge. Freezer, yes, fridge, no.

Kitagrl Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 13

People have strong feelings about this topic but I always refrigerate my cakes, for ease of transport mostly. I don't have too much trouble with sweating...on humid days it will but will also dry off. If you have alot of handpainted detail you may want to think twice but I always refrigerate and have had no complaints and I have also never had anything but compliments on the taste and texture of my cakes.

lapazlady Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 13

I often refrigerate my cakes. I find sweating a bigger problem if the cake is sprayed for color, rather than the fondant having the color kneaded in. The sweat does dry and the cake looks just fine. But! if you have painted on the cake, I wouldn't put it in the fridge, too big a chance the painting will bleed or run.

panchanewjersey Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 13

I will never do it again, especially if it's fondant. The only thing I will do is freeze my bakes cakes but not decorated. Had a bad experience when I put fondant in frig. But you won't know until you try for yourself. In know that some people do it all the time, but I think it depends on what our using.

stlcakelady Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 13

This past weekend I did a 3 tiered baby shower cake using Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant recipe. It worked great. Someone suggested putting the temp up a little in the fridge, which I did. Then, I stuck all three cakes in the refrigerator overnight. Next day, removed them and finished stacking and decorating. No sweating...No problems! It worked like a charm and gave me peace of mind. I will, from now on, use her recipe and continue to stick them in the refrigerator. To me, even if it doesn't need to be chilled, I can prevent any stray fuzz and dust from getting on the cake.

jenlg Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 9:54pm
post #7 of 13

I never put my fondant cakes in the fridge.....I always worried the fondant would start to harden.

Kitagrl Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 9:59pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlg

I never put my fondant cakes in the fridge.....I always worried the fondant would start to harden.

It does....great for transport...and then goes back to regular consistency as it goes back to room temp. Which is...a little hard on the outside and still soft on the inside.

jenlg Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 10:00pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks for the information!!

PinkZiab Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 11:54pm
post #10 of 13

I refrigerate all of my cakes... of course almost all of my filling are perishable so it's not optional. I also do it because i find it makes the handling and decorating of them much easier.

pmaucher Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 12:09am
post #11 of 13

Same here, all my cakes go in the fridge. Never had a problem.

Lucy0618 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 12:33am
post #12 of 13

Thanks everyone will try this new technique!!

MacsMom Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 12:35am
post #13 of 13

Ditto - they all go in the fridge.

Give 2 to 4 hrs for the condensation to dry. If it's been over 2 hrs and the condensation is still major (perhaps it's raining), you can use a blow dryer to instantly dry your cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%