Cake Boards

Decorating By michellecahoe Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 2:38pm by michellecahoe

michellecahoe Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 15

I wanted to see what everyone else used to put theie cakes on. I'm want to know a inexpensive way to make a cake board that is sturdy. Everything I have used feels like its going to split in half, but since I don't get the boards back and wanted to know what I could use that is cheap.

14 replies
beth2027 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 15

It's difficult to do, but I took foam board (like poster board, only much thicker) and doubled it up. I superglued the pieces together. Then, when I use them, I wrap them in foil, or a colored plastic tablecloth. They work really well and a 2 board pack of foam board is only around $6.00.
The cutting was the hard part. You have to use an exacto knife and it's still hard to get really smooth edges (I couldn't do it, but the wrapping hides it).

stephaniescakenj Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 15

I buy cake boards in bulk and then triple them up and wrap in tissue paper and cellophane. Very sturdy and not as expensive as buying the 10pks from wilton

katgal Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 15

I buy the thicker foam boards from Hobby Lobby. I stock up when they have them half price, which is quite often.
To cut them, I use a hot knife. It's an exacto knife that you plug in. I bought it at Hobby Lobby, where all of their styrofoam stuff is. It kinda melts the foam. Pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

koppeskreations Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 10:34pm
post #5 of 15

I actually use OSB Board bought in 4'x8' sheets and then cut down to sizes I want. I can get 12 20"x 14" boards out of one sheet. Each sheet costs around $8.00. You would be surprised how many people would return the boards if you asked. For years I did the cardboard and so many people would always ask if I needed anything back. I figure if 2 out of 3 people returned boards to me i am ahead, and even if they didn't they are still cheaper and much sturdier than cardbaord.
Hope this helps!

tarheelgirl Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 15

I do exactly what Beth does! I double or triple up on my cake boards and wrap them in tissue or plastic tablecloth. I put cellophane over that! Gives it a pretty look and is cheap.

michellecahoe Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 10:36pm
post #7 of 15

what is OSB board?

DaCakeDiva Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 10:37pm
post #8 of 15

Call me el cheapo but I will cut a circle from any cardboard that comes near me. I may have to double or triple it but it cost nothing as there are boxes everywhere, the top of a pizza box, the side of a xerox box. My husband threatened to have me committed because every box goes to the trash with various differentsized holes in the sides icon_lol.gif

hamie Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 10:53pm
post #9 of 15

I use ceramic tiles from home depot or lowes. Every time I go in, I grab a few that are on sale. I can usully get them for less than $1

I cover them with contactpaper and put felt pads on the bottom.

They only problem is they do not come in round

nancyg Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 10:58pm
post #10 of 15

I to would like to know...what is OSB board and where to you buy it?
I also use the foam core board from Hobby Lobby. But, to cut circles I use a mat cutter. works really good

kweenofengland Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 11:03pm
post #11 of 15

I am so glad you asked this cause I have been wondering the same thing. i also buy the foam board from hobby lobby and now i am going to find this hot knife thing! My husband cut me a piece of 1/4" plywood into a nice rectangle. I use this under my foam board for transporting only and I always keep it. If they pick up a cake, then they are own their own! OSB is a type of exterior sheathing used in construction. (I work for an architect, lol) just ask a Lowes guy and he will know what you are talking about. I have also noticed peoples cake here on this site that have the prettiest boards with a ribbon around the bottom....I havent done this, but someone tell me how they get this pretty board. Presentation is everything!

jammjenks Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:06am
post #12 of 15

I use masonite boards. They are inexpensive and easily available. I usually get mine from intotheoven.com, but I think home improvement stores. If I get them back, great! If not, they're cheap anyway.

CakeForte Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 5:58am
post #13 of 15

I use the 2 of silver cake drums/ boards and hot glue them or duct tape them together, then I wrap the edge with a ribbon. If it's a fondant cake, I'll cover the board w/ fondant first and then wrap with ribbon. It makes a thicker base. I prefer this way because it is thick enough to keep my center dowel rod secure.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 6:20am
post #14 of 15

It all depends on how heavy the cake is. I will use cake circles or boards and if it's a small cake, but dense and a bit heavier, I'll double or triple it (making sure the corrugation, or 'grain', of the cardboard runs opposite eachother to give more strength). Or I will use a cake drum, especially if I'm doing more than one cake and time is an issue, since the Wilton ones are ready to use as they're already foil-covered.

For the large, heavy cakes I use the masonite or MDF boards. I purchase these in The Home Depot. These are especially good for large sheet cakes and the best part is, if you ask, someone in the store will cut it to size for free. icon_cool.gif (Of course if my husband is home and can find the power saw, he does it for free, too! icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif ) I'd do it myself, but I hate the sound of the saw - like nails on a blackboard are to some, that's how that sound is to me.

michellecahoe Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:38pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks guys for all yalls great ideas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%