Coloring Fondant

Decorating By LUNDI Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 12:46am by karateka

LUNDI Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 5

Hi!!! I bought some Wilton rolled fondant to use for a birthday cake im making. Does anyone know how I would color it since it is already rolled out? I have "Americolor" brand gel paste coloring already. I am going to be cutting stars and hearts out of the fondant with cookie cutters but I need them to be pink, white and silver. Do i just rub the luster dust on for the silver? Thanks!!

4 replies
karateka Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 5

You should ideally add the coloring before rolling it out. Knead it in until it's even.

If it's already rolled out you could airbrush it or paint it with the gel colors and a brush.

The luster dust can be dusted on dry or mixed with vodka or lemon extract and painted on.

__Jamie__ Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 5

Yes, next time color it before you roll it out. And if anyone is going to consume that fondant....make some MMF! Dee-licious! Please don't ever serve anyone you like (or dislike for that matter) Wilton fondant. It is quite possibly the most disgusting tasting stuff on the planet, and a big reason fondant has such a bad reputation.

LUNDI Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 5

Should i dilute the gel color first with water before I brush it on?

karateka Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 12:46am
post #5 of 5

That depends on how dark you want it. I've done it straight and diluted with vodka, and when it's diluted you can paint in thinner layers and get a lighter look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%