Simple Cake But Need Help!!

Decorating By 2sweetcookies Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 4:04pm by Chippi

2sweetcookies Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 12

This cake looks easy enough, but sometimes thats when they come out the worst.

The customer wants whipped cream frosting and ganache drizzled on top. I know the whipped cream should be refridgerated and I am not used to working with ganache but assume it should be warm to pour, wont that melt the cream?

Should I talk her into regualr buttercream and how do I pour to achieve this look?

11 replies
TejasRebel Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 12

I've done a single cake version of this before -- I'm a big fan of a little bakery in the Texas Hill Country called the Rather Sweet Bakery. She does what she calls a Tuxedo Cake like this. I have recipe and methodology if you want to PM me. icon_smile.gif

P.s. very simple to do!

Ariginal Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 12

wow interesting cake... i too would think it would melt the cream but i havent ever tried it so hopefully someone out there will be able to help you... i personally would have had fondant then the ganache.

good luck cant wait to see your pic of what you come up with

GI Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 12

The presentation of this cake is to die for. I'll bet they had not one sliver left! icon_biggrin.gif I would think if you put the cake in the fridge and let it set up nice and hard, that pouring ganache would not melt it. After all, the ganache is not boiling, just warm.

Or perhaps they used a bit of corn syrup in it to make it smoother and not as warm when poured. icon_confused.gif

TejasRebel Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 12

Hey y'all...

I'm getting lots of requests for info on this, so I'll just post the method/recipe here for everyone that wants it icon_lol.gif

Prepare your cake layers as you normally would in whatever flavor. I used a chocolate cake. Make sure they're completely cool before proceeding.

With your whisk attachment on your mixer, whip 4 cups of chilled heavy whipping cream on high speed until stiff peaks form. Add 1-1/4 cups powdered sugar and whip until thoroughly combined.

Ice your layers, making sure they're thickly coated. Refrigerate until the icing has stabilized, at least 1 hour.

Chocolate glaze
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup Lyle's Golden Syrup**
2 teaspoons vanilla

Heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until very hot and just beginning to steam. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and stir until melted completely. Stir in the syrup and vanilla. Pour into a medium pitcher or measuring cup and let it cool for 10 minutes. Don't let it sit any longer or it will stiffen and hard to pour.

Slowly pour over the cake, making sure that it covers the top and drizzles down the sides. If the glaze doesn't flow easily over the edge of the cake, you can add an extra tablespoon or two of the Syrup.

Refrigerate the cake until the glaze is set and the icing is firm, at least 1 hour.

I've made this before and had it sitting out on my counter for at least an hour before serving and haven't had a problem with melting.

**Lyle's Golden Syrup. I've bought it here at my local Kroger in the international foods section (it's made in Great Britain). It's a pure cane syrup with a light caramel flavor... yum.

Also... the chocolate cake with the whipped cream icing and glaze, when you cut into it, it's even more stunning.

And the recipes above are enough to cover one 3-layer nine inch cake or a double 10-inch. thumbs_up.gif

2sweetcookies Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:22pm
post #6 of 12

TejasRabel I can't thank you enough, I will definately use your method and recipes, knowing this will work. My only question is how thick is the whipped cream frosting, I thought that gelatin had to be added to stiffin it up. But then again I don't usually use whipped cream.
Thanks again

TejasRebel Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 12

You're very welcome!

Personally, I've never put gelatin in my whipped cream icings, so I can't answer that one for you. As for thickness, I'd say about a quarter-inch thick.

TejasRebel Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:58pm
post #8 of 12

I'm trying to find my picture I've got around here of the one I made. As soon as I do, I'll post it.

2sweetcookies, let me know how yours turns out thumbs_up.gif

tcakes65 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:17pm
post #9 of 12

I did a cake a few weeks ago with ganache (it's in my photo gallery). As TejasRebel mentioned, I let mine cool for 10 mintues before pouring. The ganache was completely cool and didn't melt the buttercream. I poured my ganache in the center of the cake, which covered about 3/4 of the top, and pushed it out to the edges with a large icing spatula. I initially tried pouring it over the entire top of the cake as mentioned in some forums here on CC. However, I found it to be too much ganache. The drips came out much better when I poured in the center and helped push it out to the edges.

mandifrye Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:28pm
post #10 of 12

That recipe looks so good! Thanks so much for sharing. I can't wait to try it, maybe ofr the holidays!

Thanks again! thumbs_up.gif

2sweetcookies Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:24pm
post #11 of 12

I can't wait to try it either. I feel much better about making it now. I'm sure it will be a bi hit anywhere.

Chippi Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:04pm
post #12 of 12

The cake above is beautiful. I made one recently with choc. covered strawberries on top. Its in my cake photos. My first time working with ganache. I froze my cake from the day before so it was 3/4 unthawed when I iced with bc and poured the ganache. I even had ganache filling in it. I will pour in the center the next time. I learned that as I started putting on the drizzles. One thing I will do different also is I will put it on a wire rack and let it sit there a while and let any drizzles fall off, then add the bottom border. Also my drizzle seemed a lil transparent and I did let it sit for 15 mins before adding it, so i did a few more. Live and learn. I hope this helps a you a little 2sweet. icon_smile.gif Good luck ......can't wait to see your masterpiece!

Quote by @%username% on %date%