3D Pumpkin Icing Problem

Decorating By cathie_shinnick Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 11:02pm by TexasSugar

cathie_shinnick Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 12:43pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a 3D bundt pan pumpkin cake for my sisters wedding rehersal dinner on Thursday. I have seen so many wonderfully iced pumpkins in the Thanksgiving gallery. Here is my dillema(sp). I was going to cover with fondant, but most of the cakes are done in only butter creme. H ow do I get my butter creme to look that smooth. I really liked the one done by TexasSugar. I like thr butter creme look better than the fondant.

6 replies
redpanda Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 7

If you use a crusting buttercream, all you have to do is let the icing crust a bit and then use the Viva method. (Carefully lay a Viva paper towel, which has a smooth surface on the icing and gently rub with your fingers to smooth the icing.)

You want to be sure, though, to have the icing thick enough that it can be smoothed to a pretty even, almost spherical shape. Then, you'll have to use a dowel or something similar to make the grooves in the pumpkin.

At least, that's how I did it.

cathie_shinnick Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you so much

chyna Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:29am
post #4 of 7

one of mine in my photos is a fondant covered pumpkin. I just rolled it and laid it on the cake as usual. Pumpkins aren't totally smooth irl anyhow!

edit: just read that you prefer the b/c, so I'd agree with the above poster.

TexasSugar Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:06am
post #5 of 7

Awww! icon_smile.gif

Mine was buttercream and I just used the viva paper towel method like Redpanda explained.

Pumpkins aren't perfect so don't get hung up trying to make it so. Most pumpkins in nature have a flat dirty side. icon_razz.gif

cathie_shinnick Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you TexasSugar! If mine looks just a 1/4 as good as yours I will be happy.

TexasSugar Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 11:02pm
post #7 of 7

I'm sure it will. icon_smile.gif Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%