What Buttercream Recipe To Use In Hot Humid Weather? Help!

Decorating By lanalei Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 1:57am by lindambc

lanalei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanalei Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 1:52am
post #1 of 5

I am in Hawaii where the weather is warm and muggy. What is a good buttercream recipe that I can use that will stand up to the weather for a couple of hours outside in the shade. I made a mocha buttercream with all butter, but it is still on the runny side. I used the sugar and water method, taking the temp of the water and sugar to 240 degrees and added it to the beaten whole eggs whipped to full volume, then added the melted chocolate and the mocha flavoring, and a pinch of salt. It stayed runny and I have put it in refrigerator, and hoping that it starts to crust or get harder. Help! its not working.

thumbsdown.gif

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:06am
post #2 of 5

mine. I've never had meltdown ... the big test was when it stood outside for over 5 hours in 90+ degree heat and the humidity was so bad that I just carried a towel with me all day to wipe the wet off of my face. (In Indiana, the humidity is so heavy, you really makes you walk bent over).

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:18am
post #3 of 5

I would also recommend Indydebi's! Sugarshacks also works wonders in humidity. I think you would be best to stick with all shortening for outside in humidity.

HTH -

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:25am
post #4 of 5

I live in the Bahamas and it's often warm and humid. I use Indydebi's buttercream all the time and never have a problem. I wouldn't even attempt to use a butter-based icing in this climate, it'd never hold up. The bonus is that Indydebi's icing is way yummy and smooths easier than any icing I've ever used. Good luck!

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:57am
post #5 of 5

I live in the desert in California, its gets in the hundreds here in the summer and can get humid too...I use all shortening in mine and have never had problems. I have always used the wiltons pure white buttercream recipe.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%