Highest Compliment Ever!

Decorating By tracycakes Updated 10 Nov 2008 , 5:08am by calynmom

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 12:05am
post #1 of 8

I made a cake for the baby shower of a close friend of mine - she is in my small group at church and we teach kindergarteners together in children's church. There were quite a few people there, some I knew and some I didn't know as well. It was funny that when someone came in, I would overhear someone else tell them that they needed to go see the cake. icon_biggrin.gif I got a small thrill inside every time I heard it. But the best compliment ever is on the way home, my husband told me (it was a co-ed shower) that he heard two women talking about and they said "not only does it look great, it tastes great too!". icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

It was the first time that I had ever made these kinds of animals and the first time I ever transported a tiered cake already tiered farther than 1/2 mile. Thanks to Aine2 for her tutorials, Leah for promoting the SPS system and jkalman for her suggestions last night when I was stuck!

CC is such a great site and has inspired to make cakes that 1 1/2 years ago, I never envisioned making, even after making cakes for 18 years.

The cake is in my photos under Bailey Baby Shower and there will be a link (if it works icon_redface.gif ).

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1286207

7 replies
justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 12:32am
post #2 of 8

What a fantastic compliment. Good for you!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 1:07am
post #3 of 8

easy to see why it got so much attention! A very good job!

Isn't is amazing when you hear people talking about how surprised they are that a cake looks good AND tastes great? I seriously wonder about all of these crappy cakes that are apparently the norm out there, and the bakeries/bakers who make them .... well, how do they stay in biz? icon_confused.gif

It's also pretty great that your hubby was there to hear all the great things being said about your cake!! thumbs_up.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 1:34am
post #4 of 8

Thanks so much guys! The animals were fun to make and definitely a labor of love. I really struggled with this cake trying to figure out what to do. I did live the outcome and it went great with the decorations.

Yes Debi, I was very glad my hubby was there to hear the comments. He is such great support.

"Isn't is amazing when you hear people talking about how surprised they are that a cake looks good AND tastes great? I seriously wonder about all of these crappy cakes that are apparently the norm out there, and the bakeries/bakers who make them .... well, how do they stay in biz?
"

There aren't many custom bakeries around here - maybe 2, so most people go to Wal-Mart or Sam's. There is one other local bakery that has the crappiest, driest cakes that don't even look good. No, I won't eat cakes from that place but I won't name it because it's not a chain.

What I find utterly amazing is that in shopping for cake supplies, people that work there have asked me about baking a cake for them. icon_eek.gif Yep, I was buying a cake box yesterday - that's it - and the cashier asked me if I had been baking. When I said yes, she started asking if I had a card and what would I charge her for a cake. icon_eek.gif I just said that it's a hobby and I'm not legal. I could drum up business for a bakery just by buying supplies I think.

DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:40am
post #5 of 8

Hi Tracycakes, if the cake was half as good tasting as it is looking it had to be great.I love the frogs !!! I see horror storys here about us husbands not supporting their wives and glad to see yours appears to be smart enough to see he is married to a very talented person.

Sweetlepea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetlepea Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:43am
post #6 of 8

Thats great!! I would be so excited! And juding by the way it looks, I would have LOVED to try it! It looks fantastic, you did an awesome job! icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:58am
post #7 of 8

I love what you did with the windows. I posted under your "This is too busy or needs something" thread. I think it is nicely balanced with what you did to modify it. icon_smile.gif

I am always amazed at the "most cakes look nice but don't taste good" comments.. I was up on the table having an embryo transfer today.. we are going through IVF to have a baby.. and the dr was making small talk and asked me what I do for a living and I said I make wedding cakes.. and the first thing he said so many times you have this beautiful cake and it doesn't taste good. I said that's the idea I am trying to change. Odd situation to be talking about cakes.. icon_lol.gif.. but people must have had some seriously bad cakes. icon_wink.gif

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 5:08am
post #8 of 8

Your cake is so cute. I love the frogs also. I have to agree I strive to be known for my cakes to be great looking AND taste great.

Who wants to pay that much money for a cake that taste aweful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%