Do Baking Strips Increase Your Baking Time?

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 1:27am by Trixyinaz

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 7

I don't know if it is me, but when I didn't use the baking strips, my cakes were done within the 35-40 min. range. Since I started baking with the strips, it seems they take nearly an hour (longer for larger size cakes). Is this normal?

Thanks!

6 replies
Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 7

Wow--I've never noticed that--It takes about 35 mins. for me to bake an 11X15 at 325 degrees with bake strips. I don't have a convection oven. I'm thinking it takes about an hr or so for a 14X14 but I'm not sure since I start checking at 45 mins., and then bake a few mins. more--probably the reason it takes so long for my big cakes is that I check it so frequently! Don't want it to be over dry you know!

Trixyinaz Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 12:00am
post #3 of 7

Thanks Diane! I am making an 11 x 15 cake right now and threw it in for 35 minutes at 325. I'm using the Fat Daddio (my supply store didn't have the Magic Line of products). I can almost guarantee you it will not even be near done when I check on it. I don't use a convection oven either. I really need to get an oven thermometer...I wonder if it's off.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 7

I use the baking strips and it doesn't take any longer for my cakes to bake.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 7

I wonder if your temp is off too?!? I think an oven thermometer would be a great idea--just to be sure!

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 11:56pm
post #6 of 7

is it a 3 inch tall fat daddio? They bake different in fat daddios than in magic lines. But yes,my time increases. I use baking strips and a nail- and none of my cakes are done in less than 50 minutes. I bake at 325 tho...

Trixyinaz Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:27am
post #7 of 7

Thanks! The pan I have is a 2". This cake didn't take nearly as long to bake as my rounds do with the baking strips. It only took 43 minutes. I can live with that, but I do need to get a thermometer to make sure my oven is at the right temp. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%