$50 For Chocolate Covered Oreos??? (Wth)

Baking By ElectricCook Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 1:56am by -K8memphis

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 15

I just saw these ( http://gifts.redenvelope.com/productdetail.aspx?cobrand=RED&pid=24697627&ssid=4&REF=redshpghgtvfeed_24697627&mr:referralID=573af9a2-ad98-11dd-bfff-000423bb4e95) offered for $50 icon_surprised.gif . It's 36 belgian chocolate covered Oreos for $50. I need to set-up and market my own stuff. It is inside a glass jar and wrapped in colored foils. It looks very pretty, but come on $50 for 36 cookies. That comes out to be $1.38 (US) per cookie.

Let me count the ways I could spend $50 on something I could make myself. icon_lol.gif

Gotta love the marketing behind this. thumbs_up.gif

tapedshut.gifRight now the website is down for updating. I will fix the post when it's ready and try to post pics. tapedshut.gif

14 replies
cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 15

I saw four chocolate covered Oreos packaged for $6 at a specialty food store yesterday. They weren't anything special to look at. You can buy a whole box of Nabisco's own chocolate covered Oreos for less than that.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 15

Actually, $1.38 is not a bad price. Plain 'ole choc chip cookies at Subway and Starbucks are in the $1.50 to $1.95 range. If I made these, I'd probably charge more than $1.38.

ElectricCook Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 15

Debi

when you put it like that it's not so bad icon_smile.gif . But that is without s/h. I'm going to make some cookies right now.

I really need to open my own place and start raking in the dough icon_lol.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 15

I charge more than $1.38 per choc covered Oreo. $1.75 for one packaged in a pyramid box up to $25 for a dozen, but some of those are gilded with real edible 23 kt gold.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 15

At MACYS I say 2 choc covered choc chip cookies in a pk for $6!
They also had 2 med size choc covered pretzels in a bag for $6!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 11:02pm
post #7 of 15

And don't you just love the $18 chocolate covered apples? No baking involved. Just drizzle chocolate and sprinkle thingies on top.

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 11:16pm
post #8 of 15

I charge $15 for a dozen cupcakes, or $20 for the filled ones. I use out of the ordinary flavor combo's that you won't find at the grocery store, call them gourmet, and people buy them. and as long as they want to keep paying for them, i'll keep making them!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 1:01pm
post #9 of 15

I'm guessing the Belgian chocolate is high end, and the real stuff, so it has to be tempered. It costs me about 30-35 cents each to make a chocolate covered Doublestuff Oreo using the Ghirardelli dipping chocolate. Packaging costs would have to be figured in, of course. Quick, easy...sounds like good mark-up, too!

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 1:32pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Actually, $1.38 is not a bad price. Plain 'ole choc chip cookies at Subway and Starbucks are in the $1.50 to $1.95 range. If I made these, I'd probably charge more than $1.38.

I'm glad you said this, cause that was my first thought. Plus, they come in a nice container. Good point about the chocolate, Gemini. I think at first look, it seems like a lot. Add together your costs for product and packaging materials. Figure out what your time is worth -- to dip and package them.

I don't anyone should complain about what these people can get. It only makes a valid argument for charging what you want for your version. At Halloween, a gourmet store sold individually pkg. dipped Oreos for $1.49. It had a RI cat/ pumpkin, etc. on it with a sprinkle of nonpareils. They also sold 3 dipped pretzel rods sprinkled with NPs for $4.49.

Remember not everyone can or wants to make things like this. How any of you would be out of business if they did?!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 1:35pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydukes

Remember not everyone can or wants to make things like this. How any of you would be out of business if they did?!

Saw a sign at a craft fair that is so true: "Yes, you COULD make it yourself .... but WILL you?" applies to so many things ..... crafts, cakes, cookies.....

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:22pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Saw a sign at a craft fair that is so true: "Yes, you COULD make it yourself .... but WILL you?" applies to so many things ..... crafts, cakes, cookies.....

Ooooooh, I must have a sign like that. I'll have to settle for a print out! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:29pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

... per choc covered Oreo... gilded with real edible 23 kt gold.

Oooh how cool! Oreos and real gold.
I rejoice at polar opposite genius combinations like this.

Hats off.

ElectricCook Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 11:28pm
post #14 of 15

I am just upset that

1. I don't have my own shop. icon_mad.gif
2. I didn't think of this. icon_mad.gificon_cry.gif
3. I can't open my own shop. (I have to own/rent. I'm not allowed to have a home bakery in my county) icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:56am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricCook

I am just upset that

1. I don't have my own shop. icon_mad.gif
2. I didn't think of this. icon_mad.gificon_cry.gif
3. I can't open my own shop. (I have to own/rent. I'm not allowed to have a home bakery in my county) icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Me too. No worries. We can cry together. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%