Pirouette Cake Help!!!!

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 2:48pm by addietx

lkoenig07 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 20

Hi all,
I'm making a cake for my bank this Friday, and it's going to be a 9" round with pirouette cookies around it. I was just wondering who has done a pirouette cake before, because I'm trying to figure out about how many I will need to cover the edges of my cake (1 can or 2). I was also thinking about cutting them (so they would be 3")... do you think that would look weird if the cake was only 3" tall?? Thanks!

19 replies
ctucker Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 20

See my photos for the one that I made... You definatly need 2 cans, especially as some of the sticks are sometimes cracked within the can. I made the mistake of buying to cans, eating half a can and running out when it was time to make the cake. I had to trim mine down a little but I dont know how 3" would look. Is this only going to be a 1 layer cake?

stephaniescakenj Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 20

I used two cans as well. I cut them down to the height of the cake and then tied a ribbon around it.

lkoenig07 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 12:40pm
post #4 of 20

Well, I was going to make my cake the height I would need to. So if I can get away with cutting the pirouettes down to 3" to avoid buying another can, I would make the cake about 2 1/2" or so. Does that seem weird??

snns Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 12:54pm
post #5 of 20

ok this is a dumb question but I really want to know how do we cut this cake.....? icon_confused.gif

jen1977 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 1:15pm
post #6 of 20
Originally Posted by snns

ok this is a dumb question but I really want to know how do we cut this cake.....? icon_confused.gif

You just cut between the cookies. It really is easy!

snns Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 9:27am
post #7 of 20

Thank u jen icon_smile.gif

lkoenig07 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:08pm
post #8 of 20

Ok, so does anyone have any ideas about the 3" tall cake?

stephaniescakenj Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:05pm
post #9 of 20

Personally I would make it taller but I tend to make really tall cakes, mine are usually 5 or 6 inches tall but that's just my opinion!

ctucker Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 7:20pm
post #10 of 20

Correct me if Im wrong by 1 layer is typically 2 inches, so the only way to make a 2.5-3inch cake would be to make 1 layer and torte it. While it is completely do-able, Im not sure it would be visually appealing. And cutting those sticks are a PITA. However, I could be wrong and it might look great, it depends on what you plan to do with it. Also...leave putting the sticks on until just before it is presented. Once they touch the buttercream the buttercream will begin to sogg them and make them stale. If left too long they wont be crunchy. I made my cake on Friday and it was eaten on Sunday. While it all disappeared, the sticks wernt fresh and crunchy like they should have been.

calivettie Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 7:34pm
post #11 of 20

I agree with all here. Definitely buy two cans! I bought one can for a 7in round cake and barely had enough. That is only because I trimmed the tops and "built" new sticks from them... it was a shotty job, but it was for family.

mmdiez10 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 7:35pm
post #12 of 20

I made a 2-layer cake; 2 inches each layer and then torted and filled. I didn't have to cut the cookies. They were the right height. I bought two cans but don't remember if I used only one can or part of the second also. Always better to err on the side of caution. Some of them come broken anyway. I put a satin ribbon around the whole thing. No problem cutting slices; just remove the ribbon and slice between cookies the width you want.

GrandmaG Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 7:54pm
post #13 of 20

If you want to save a little money you can use the Kellogs breakfast straws. You can get them at Walmart for $2.00 a box and they are pretty good! They aren't as sophisticated as the Pirouette's. Here is a pic of a cake I did with them. It took two boxes for this oval cake which was 4 inches high. Also be careful cutting them. You have to kind of saw them or they break very easy and won't have a nice edge.

mmdiez10 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 8:53pm
post #14 of 20

I agree about the cereal straws. I think they would work great.

lkoenig07 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 9:06pm
post #15 of 20

Great idea! Never even thought of those! Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

jen1977 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:21pm
post #16 of 20

I get my cookies at Aldi. They are much cheaper, and taste the same!

Susie53 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:56pm
post #17 of 20

I would buy 2 cans and make the cake taller. Than again, you could do like grandmaG and use the Kellogg's breakfast straws. I checked out her cake and it looked great!

addietx Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:31pm
post #18 of 20

I made a cake using the cereal straws around the cake. It turned out beautiful but the recipient told me they got soft. Do the other similar ones get soft as well? I would like to know.

GrandmaG Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:37pm
post #19 of 20

That's strange! I didn't have any problem with the cereal straws getting soft! But then I kept my cake cold because I had a filling in it that had to be refrigerated. Maybe that had something to do with it. Also just put a thin coating of frosting on the cake. Just enough to stick. You don't want it gushing out. Too much frosting would soften them up.

addietx Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:48pm
post #20 of 20

I did put a good amount of frosting to help hold them even though I also added ribbon. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%