Help Me!!!!

Decorating By Tracy71 Updated 9 Nov 2008 , 9:23pm by lkfarley

Tracy71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy71 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 5

I am really having a hard time covering my cakes with Fondant. I made Michelle Fosters Fondant and it cracked when I went to cover the cake. In addition, I am ending up with unintentional "seams" at the bottom of the cakes because I can't get the fondant smooth at the bottom. Can anyone help explain how I can get the fondant perfect all the way down? I am going crazy!!!!

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 5

I can't help w/that recipe as I have never made it.
As for the 'seams' at the bottom.....you need to put the cake on a board the same size of the cake (10" cake on 10" board); now put that on something smaller than the cake (ie: 8" wide can or turntable or something) so when you add the fondant it will hang straight down the sides past the board. You will need to work quickly as the weight of the fondant can cause it to tear at the top. Using scissors or your cake spatula cut off any overhanging fondant. Now all you need to do is smooth the fondant well.
If you can't work fast enough or don't want to try that method then you have to roll the fondant bigger than you need so there is a lot of overhang at the bottom; now lightly pull the fondant away from the cake, stretching it a bit if necessary while smoothing down the side of the cake w/your hand. Do this all the way round the cake, then cut off the excess using a pizza wheel.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 5

the fondant might be too dry, causing it to crack. try kneading some crisco back into it and see if that helps at all

Tracy71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy71 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much......I will try that!!!

lkfarley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkfarley Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 5

another option might be to make the Marshmallow Fondant recipe here on CC. working in the crisco will help also per mcdonald suggestion. good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%