How To Get Golden Buttercream?

Decorating By bubusmom Updated 10 Nov 2008 , 12:39am by kakeladi

bubusmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubusmom Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 4

I am a newbie and I tried making a cake for friends with some golden accents. I found color combo on Wilton's website for Antique and Warm gold color (golden yellow+touch of leaf green). But whatever I did, they always looked mustard yellow to me. So, I ended up dusting it with gold dust but still the yellow color showed.

Is there any other way to get gold color for Butter based French Buttercream? How about silver too?

TIA

3 replies
Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 4

Americolor makes a gold color that can be added to buttercream.

Paul & Peter

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 4

you could use an airbrush and spray gold over the yellow. PME makes a gold edible spray paint too. I used it on the spongebob cake in my photos. I iced the cake in yellow IMBC and then lightly sprayed the whole cake with gold spray, made it nice and sparkly. I've used their blue spray too on the ocean cake in my photos. if its just for accents, you could always pipe out your details in royal icing and then paint them with luster dust and lemon extract when they're dry, you could dust fondant or gumpaste accents with the luster dust too.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 12:39am
post #4 of 4

One will never got a perfect gold unless you use Gold luster dust, which is NOT edible. It should only be used on decorations that are removed from the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%