Baking With Crisco

Decorating By chutzpah Updated 10 Nov 2008 , 11:21pm by Trixyinaz

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 11

I've never used Crisco for anything other than the board and rolling pin when working with gumpaste!

I need to make dairy-free muffins for an event at shul tomorrow and Crisco is OU-certified kosher pareve.

If I make the muffins with Crisco do I substitute an equal weight of butter with shortening?

Thanks for all tips.

10 replies
chutzpah Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 11

Anyone?
icon_smile.gif

chutzpah Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 11

Anyone?
icon_smile.gif

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 11

My MIL does in cookie recipes. I think it makes them taste disgusting, but the butter flavor is better than the plain. She's been having major problems with it though since they took the transfats out (sorry, I can't remember what, just that she keeps blaming it on her new oven and not the fact that the shortening has changed!) I would definitely use a store brand that has some trans fats in it though. I don't know how subbing equal amounts would would work for muffins though......I hope someone else can help.

chutzpah Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks. I only ever use butter, but these muffins need to be dairy-free. I'm making chocolate muffins for the simple fact that I'm hoping the flavor will mask the fact that it's not butter.

I live overseas and there is no shortening in any store. I have Crisco for greasing the board and stuff when gumpasting. Kosher margarine is expensive here PLUS you have to drive several hours to purchase it, so I thought I'd use Crisco.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 9:33pm
post #6 of 11

I'm a butter-only girl too! I can't stand cookies made with shortening only. I feel for you having to make these butter free, but a thought just hit me. I have a strawberry bread recipe that only uses vegetable oil......could you use that instead of Crisco? I have no idea, just brainstorming. I would think it would make the muffins really moist. Good luck!

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 9:51pm
post #7 of 11

I know you can use applesauce in place of oil in recipes. I wonder if the same goes for butter. You could always try it.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 9:51pm
post #8 of 11

I know that when I bake I sometimes like to use the butter flavored shortning because it will at least taste a little like butter. Or you can add butter flavoring to your batter. I would probably use oil because I prefer that over shortning. good luck
Karema

AmieW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmieW Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 9:54pm
post #9 of 11

I use butter that is transfat free..and it's not messing anything up (except buttercream) but baking situations have been fine. I have done a vegian pie before and used crisco instead of butter and kept the recipe amounts the exact same and everyone thought it tasted delicious.

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 9:58pm
post #10 of 11

I know many people who sub butter out for Crisco in all of their recipes at a 1:1. The taste may or may not be noticeably different depending on the recipe. For some recipes, like pie crust or chocolate chip cookies, I have even known people to swear that they prefer Crisco to butter. Go figure.......
I hate the butter-flavored Crisco though.......the fake butter taste seems very chemically to me. Just a personal preference, I'm sure.
If you tried to use oil, you would probably have to change the amount, or your batter will be a lot soupier.

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 11:21pm
post #11 of 11

I was just getting ready to make a batch of BC when I saw the substitution guide for butter. I immediately thought of you. It says to replace 1 cup of butter you would use 1 cup of crisco, plus 6 teaspoons of water. I hope that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%