Gluten Free Cookie Recipe

Baking By cakelass Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 12:11pm by cakelass

cakelass Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 11:09am
post #1 of 8

I am after a good gluten free cookie recipe. Also is the Antonia 74 icing gluten free? TIA

7 replies
foxymomma521 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 11:37am
post #2 of 8

Gluten = Wheat, so as long as there is no flour (and there isn't), and your vanilla is GF, her recipe is fine. As far as cookies go, you should probably check recipezaar.com. I've made gluten free cakes and muffins, but never rolled cookies. Good luck!

cakelass Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 8

Thankyou for your reply. I did try replacing flour with glutem free flour but the cookies came out so soft that they would be a nightmare to decorate. I will have a look. But in the mean time if anyone has a tried and tested recipe I would really appreciate it.

ElectricCook Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 8

You could try googling glutenfree blogs for recipes. There are a ton of blogs wth recipes for baking and cooking. HTH

foxymomma521 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 11:29am
post #5 of 8

try www.glutenfreeflour.com
I LOVE this flour, it already has xanathan gum added so you don't have to make that additional purchase. Plus it tastes better than Bob's Red Mill... THey have recipes on the site that are recommended for their flour. Good luck!

ac0474 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 8

I have a couple to share. They're adapted from Lisa Lewis' Special Diets for Special Kids.

GF Cookie Flour

1 c. rice flour
3/4 c. sweet rice flour
1/4 c. cornstarch (use arrowroot if corn is not tolerated)
1/2 c. potato starch

CUT OUT SUGAR COOKIES I

21/2 c. GF flour mix
2 t. xanthan gum
1 c. sugar
1 c. CF margarine, softened (you may use reg. margarine if client can have casein)
1 egg
1 t. GF baking powder
2 t. fruit juice
1 T. GF vanilla

Combine all ingredients and beat until well mixed. Wrap in plastic wrap or seal in a plastic bag and chill til firm. Roll out the dough, half at a time, on a rice floured surface. Cut out with cookie cutters of your choice and place 1" apart on an ungreased sheet. Bake 6-10 mins. at 425 degrees until slightly brown around the edges.

CUT OUT SUGAR COOKIES II

1 c. CF margarine
2/3 c. sugar
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
21/2 c. GF flour
1/2 t. xanthan gum
1/2 t. salt

Cream margarine with sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat. In a separate bowl, measure out the GF flour mixture, xanthan gum, and salt. With a fork, combine dry ingredients until well mixed. Add to creamed mixture and beat for one minute. Chill dough for 2-3 hours or overnight. Preheat oven to 350 and dust a smooth surface with 1-2 T. rice flour or cornstarch. Roll out dough to 1/8" thickness. You can also roll out half the dough at a time between two sheets of plastic wrap or wax paper. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters. Transfer cookies to lightly greased cookie sheets (I use parchment paper) with a spatula. Bake 8 minutes. Cool and frost, if desired.

Hope this helps!

ac0474 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 8

Meant to add this to my post above. Antonia's RI is great for GF people. You just need to make sure that the vanilla is GF. Gluten is in everything (maybe not in everything, but definitely in things that you wouldn't think that it was).

cakelass Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:11pm
post #8 of 8

Thnakyou very much for your recipes ac0474. I will be trying these out. Also thanks for the advice with the vanilla. I would never have thought of this one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%