Wrinkled Fondant Issues.help!!

Decorating By cakesbybonbon Updated 9 Nov 2008 , 11:51am by kakeladi

cakesbybonbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybonbon Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 7:16am
post #1 of 3

Hi there. Just stumbled upon this site--and joined, and will be up for hours browsing icon_biggrin.gif
I've been making and decorating cakes for about 3 years now and have always had trouble with my bottom tier's fondant. It wrinkles at the bottom and after it sits stacked for an hour or so, you can see the layers poking through. This bugs me so much. Any advice out there?
Thanks!

2 replies
PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 7:48am
post #2 of 3

Welcome to Cake Central!! You will definitely find this site very addictive. I have learned so much from everyone here. The talent is amazing and the information that is available is priceless.

Now...on to your question.

Does this just happen on your bottom tier?? Do you put dowel rods in when you stack?? If not your top layer may be adding too much weight to the bottom tier causing it to buckle.

I have had trouble in the past with the icing bulging out between the layers...is this what you mean by "layers poking through?". To stop this, I filled and did a crumb coat and let it sit for a while so it will settle. I usually let it sit over night, but sometimes just a couple of hours will let the filling and cake settle. Then frost it and put the fondant on it. I hope this helps.....

Again, welcome to CC.....

Patrice

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 11:51am
post #3 of 3

It sounds like you are not gently pulling the fondant away from the cake then smoothing down w/your hand or smoother tool.
Some people find it easier to have the cake on a board the same size os the cake, then elevating the cake a bit (like on a shortening can) so the fondant hangs down. Then you just use a pr of scissors or knife to cut it even w/the board. You do need to work quickly so the weight of the fondant doesn't cause tearing on the top.

.......after it sits stacked for an hour or so, you can see the layers poking through........
Are you actually seeing the cake or excess fondant sagging down?
My 1st thought was you are rolling the fondant too thick which is causing it to sag. It should be around 1/4" which is the thickness of the average cake board.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%