Luster Dust For Gumpaste Roses

Decorating By BattaGirl Updated 10 Nov 2008 , 4:59pm by Sugarflowers

BattaGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BattaGirl Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:49am
post #1 of 4

I am new to gum paste and have been told I must try the luster dust for that beautiful real life look. Do you apply it before your flower is dry or after? Does it naturally stick or do you have to set it some how? Any advice would be appreciated.

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 5:47am
post #2 of 4
BattaGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BattaGirl Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you for the info!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattaGirl

I am new to gum paste and have been told I must try the luster dust for that beautiful real life look. Do you apply it before your flower is dry or after? Does it naturally stick or do you have to set it some how? Any advice would be appreciated.

Luster dust can be applied while the petals are still soft or after the flower has dried. If you plan to steam them to set the color, then dust them after they have dried, and after they have been steamed. If you go with this method, the steamed flowers must be completely dry before trying to dust them. If you steam the flowers after the luster dust has been applied, then they will not sparkle but will be shiny.

I like to apply the luster dust while they are still soft. I like the look that it gives and it helps to prevent breakage.

If this doesn't make sense, let me know and I will try to clarify.

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%