Omg! I Did It! I Painted With Buttercream!

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 9 Nov 2008 , 4:02am by bethola

Trixyinaz Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:49am
post #1 of 12

And had a BLAST! This is just a practice cake, but I think it turned out better than I had hoped! I am so proud of this practice cake (real cake is due next week) that I just had to share with you all! I iced my dummy and then started painting on it. Evertyhing was done freehand. I just kept a copy of the painting next to me so I could use it as reference. The colors aren't exact, but pretty damn close if you ask me. Thanks for looking!

11 replies
aundrea Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:02am
post #2 of 12

wow! awesome job! im sure the customer will love this.
good luck, dont forget to show us the final cake.

sugarwishes Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:03am
post #3 of 12

WOW You really did an awesome job!!!! How did you paint with buttercream?

fiddlesticks Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:05am
post #4 of 12

AWESOME!! If they dont like it that are NUTS!!

nefcook21 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:06am
post #5 of 12

That is great!!! If that's the practice cake can't wait to see the final one! Good job!

Trixyinaz Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:09am
post #6 of 12

Thanks guys! Basically you ice your cake like you normally do. Then mix up all the colors you want and have them in separate bowls. Then with a paint brush, I just started painting. I would dip the brush in one color of BC and plop it down and move it around. And I just kept going until I was done. First I started with the sunset colors, then moved on to the blue color and so on. I used different size brushes and just played with it. I bought a bunch of different brushes today and these will only be used for my cakes (If I ever do this again...LOL). It really is easy.

In the "HOW TO THREAD", I asked how to paint on buttercream. Someone posted and told me about this lady that does it. Her handle is Talmas. So I looked up her photos and found out that there was a thread going back in 2005/2006 where she explained how to do it. If you go to the How To thread and find my post, I link back to her original post where she explains how she does it. Good luck if you try it. It is a lot of fun!

tarheelgirl Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:10am
post #7 of 12

AWESOME!!!! thumbs_up.gif

-Tubbs Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:33am
post #8 of 12

That looks great! It made me smile because I did exactly that picture on my sister's 40th birthday cake a few years ago! I didn't paint though - I mixed up about a bazillion colours of buttercream and applied them almost like oil paints. It took ages but was a lot of fun!

I also had a speech bubble for the guy "Oh no, Alyson's 40!"

I'm sure your customer will love it. thumbs_up.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:07am
post #9 of 12

Thanks everyone!

Tubbs - I did it the same way as you. Had several colors of BC and applied them to the cake with my paintbrush - hence, "painting with buttercream" icon_lol.gif I would love to see the cake you did. Got any pics?

-Tubbs Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:26am
post #10 of 12

Oh, ok! I read it as 'painted ON buttercream' icon_redface.gif

I don't know about pictures - it would have been about 6 years ago and we didn't have a digital camera then. I will have a look though.

Trixyinaz Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:43am
post #11 of 12

That is too bad. I bet it was awesome!

bethola Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 4:02am
post #12 of 12

Beth in KY

Quote by @%username% on %date%