Keeping Bc Cool?

Decorating By laura1029 Updated 9 Nov 2008 , 2:09am by laura1029

laura1029 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:35am
post #1 of 4

Hi, newbie here! I've been lurking for quite some time and decided to come out of hiding. This forum is so wonderful, I have learned so much from reading everyone's posts!!

I have been practicing making buttercream roses and have the stiff consistency required. However, after about my 3rd rose the buttercream starts to get soft and runny. Any suggestions on keeping buttercream cool/correct consistency while decorating? I have tried using 2 different decorating bags and switching between the two but that doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

3 replies
kakeladi Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:54am
post #2 of 4

Sounds like you have very hot handsicon_smile.gif
Make sure you don't over fill your bags.....never more than 1/2 and preferably less - just enough to fill the palm of your hand. I kmnow this means taking time out to refill often but it's worth the difference it might make.
Using 2 bags should help if you keep one in the frig while using the other.
I have heard of some people keeping a bowl of ice water near by to dip their hand in to help cool it off. OR a wash cloth kept in the fzr - again to cool off your hand.

tiggy2 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:58am
post #3 of 4

I keep an ice pack on the counter and lay the bags on it when not using them. I also use 2 bags and alternate as I have very hot hands.

laura1029 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:09am
post #4 of 4

Those are excellent ideas - thank you so much for responding quickly! This should help out tomorrow as I have to make a birthday cake covered in bc roses. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%